Filipino nurse undecided to work in libya, please help.

hello fellow forumers. im new here in this site. im a nurse who was recently interviewed by ministry of health delegates for libyan government hospital. i am hesitant if i will continue my application due to the fact that there are different things i heard about libya. there are good points and there are bad points. please help me through the following questions:

1. is it true that if i work in Libya i cannot get my whole salary? only allowance will be given? the agency where i applied here told us that we can only get the salary after 3 months probationary period , but there are some people who say that in Libya, all your earnings will go directly to your home country.  i also heard that it is Libya's policy that you cannot hold your money or earnings in Libya. which is true?

2. how much is the tax in Libya that i have to pay? is it per month or yearly?

3. can i possibly get married in Libya? or can i buy visa for my realtive , friend, boyfriend or husband to be? how much and how many months i am entitled to get or buy one and how many months is the processing time?

4. how can i obtain driving license in Libya? can i drive and own a car in libya?

5. is it safe to travel in libya? can i go to park etc? can i also apply for tourist visa outside libya, like for europe etc? what are the requirements?

6. do you have any ideas of govt hospitals handled by Ministry of health like central hospital, al fateh, etc.?

thanks in advance to those who will reply. i will appreciate every info you can share with me here. you will be of great healp. God bless.

Please go to the FAQs thread, read it and understand it and then refine your questions here and I will answer the remaining ones?

Sleepy

i will greatly appreciate if anyone can answer even one or two from my questions , if not all. thank you so much and God bless.

You should try the search function or the FAQ. Most of your questions have been covered many times.

i cant find the exact answers to those questions i've posted...i hope someone can help me here

zena_f wrote:

1. is it true that if i work in Libya i cannot get my whole salary? only allowance will be given? the agency where i applied here told us that we can only get the salary after 3 months probationary period , but there are some people who say that in Libya, all your earnings will go directly to your home country.  i also heard that it is Libya's policy that you cannot hold your money or earnings in Libya. which is true?
This will depend on the employer/agency. If they want to pay you in blue M&Ms, withhold 30% or pay them to your home country, that is the contract between you and them it is not specific to Libya

2. how much is the tax in Libya that i have to pay? is it per month or yearly? Your employer/agency should pay any taxes, like most places it will be a monthly deduction. Ask your potential employer how much they are going to take from you for tax ?

3. can i possibly get married in Libya? or can i buy visa for my realtive , friend, boyfriend or husband to be? how much and how many months i am entitled to get or buy one and how many months is the processing time? Don't try and get married here
There are lots of threads on the main page discussing visas

4. how can i obtain driving license in Libya? can i drive and own a car in libya? You need to get a Libyan license, not sure how it is for Filipinos to get, check with your consulate. You can buy or hire cars. Several threads on this, plus numerous comments about how dangerous it is to drive here!

5. is it safe to travel in libya? can i go to park etc? can i also apply for tourist visa outside libya, like for europe etc? what are the requirements? See some threads about safety and some attacks on expats. It's not that bad but as a woman you will have to dress modestly and you will attract alot of attention from the men. To get a visa for Europe you'd apply for a Schengen visa at the consulate of the European country that you'd be entering. Unless the European country (like the UK) is not signed to the Schengen agreement. Google 'Schengen Visa' to find out more

6. do you have any ideas of govt hospitals handled by Ministry of health like central hospital, al fateh, etc.? No, I don't

You will hear good & bad things about most cities and countries. Libya's a bit of a dump, it's slowly improving, there are worse places in the world. I just don't live in them.

hi am jinky i also delegate by an agency to ministry of health i just want to ask if what agency did u apply me is FIl-SINO we have the same info given by the agency .. now i am also hesitant if i will pursue my application due to the deploymment ban but according to the agency it is for signing of Pinoy ... did u pursue ur application?? tnx

Hi to all filipino nurses.

My advice for you all at this time is to wait till after the elections before even thinking about coming to Libya.

There is no rule of law here, no judges and the police are ineffective, just read the topics on how they respond to carjacking.

If they break the contract what recourse to you have.

If you are really considering coming here, check the contract carefully and make sure all your potential worries are covered in the contract. If they are not then have the contract re-written.

Make sure you are employed through an agency in the Philipines and this is a reputable agency with lots of resources and you will be paid by the agency.

Check on the contract with the agency for any deductions in salary etc.

If the hospital do not pay you the allowances etc make sure the agency will pay them to you instead.

Request an open return ticket that cannot be cancelled.

Do not forget that working for a company that does not pay you is NO Work, only slavery. There is enough of this going on in the Middle East.

The hospitals in Libya need you, so make sure you have an enforceble binding contract with the agency in the Philipines and make sure the agency will not do a runner with your hard earned cash.

That aside, the Libyan people are on the whole very friendly and very helpful, I have some truly excellent friends. There is a big Filipino community and all are very friendly people.

Before you come just make sure you have a back up plan if it all goes wrong. If the contract has a probationary period for you then you should get one for the company. ie if after 3 months it is not for you then you can leave.

Good luck and I pray that Libya will be a truly great country and nice place to live and visit.

Jim.

Hi

I largely agree with James7 but I don't think the elections will changes things dramatically overnight.

When the elections will take place is uncertain, either delayed for a few weeks or held just before Ramadan.

I think it will take quite some time for the Ministry of Health to get organised. I wouldn't be surprised if takes more than a year.

Good luck  Ben

who knows ali omar askaar hospital? is it safe there?

@nadnadtraveller- you already got a similar post here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 826#791036

why don't you skip all this and go north?

Hello people. I'm a Filipino who had been accepted for a job in Ministry of Health in Misurata. I'm having second thoughts and cannot decide since I have no idea about working in Libya. Any information that you can give me will be very much appreciated.I have a lot of questions to ask particularly about the place. Is it safe now? Are most of the stores open? Anyone can tell me hospitals/facilities under the Ministry of Health in this area? They did not tell us in particular the hospital of assignment. Please give me additional details. Thank you.

hi wellcome just send to me on my box i will help u   bye

My post seems to have been removed, so I'll try again.

Some interesting reports, for those considering working in healthcare in Libya;

1.    Jordanian nurse attacked (libyaherald.com/?p=12658)

2.    International Committee of the Red Cross workers kidnapped and still missing (libyaherald.com/?p=12539)

3.    Increasing violence against doctors  (libyaherald.com/?p=8218)

4.    Violence at Benghazi hospital  (libyaherald.com/?p=12206)

5.    Fatima Hamroush (Minister for Health) admits salaries for doctors and nurses is ‘abysmally low'  (libyaherald.com/?p=12677)

Given the need for nurses in Libya, I am surprised by the salaries being offered, which are VERY low compared with the Middle East. Secondly, reassurances for safety and health insurance for the nurses appears to be non-existent.

There are some nurses I am aware of that have not received their ‘top-up' bonuses and had their salaries delayed.

i mean it people, why dont you skip working here and go north, if you are EU citizen you'll have difficulties living here for 3 or 4 hundreds dollars extra, but on the other hand if you are from Asia, i guess you can some how find a way to be familiar with the enviroment but not for long.

having saying that, people will insist to come back here.

"Benghazi hospital staff strike over security"  (http://www.libyaherald.com/?p=12748)

Only a matter of time!  Just confirms my concerns about security for nurses and doctors.