Security while driving around Nairobi!!

Hi All

Most of us are already aware of the security issues in Nairobi but just to remind you all about few things to be aware of..

1.) Recently I was attacked in my car by the 'Parking Boys' on the chiromo road while taking a U turn to go towards the River side drive. It was not so late in the night, may be around 9:30 pm. 'Parking Guys' are the people who live in the tunnel starting from the Uhuru highway till the chiromo road. All they want is either the stuff kept on your backseat or a specific part of your car which they get an order for. For ex: If they see you driving a PRADO and they have a pending order to supply the side mirror of that particular model, they'd come and try to take it away. Just be careful whenever you slow down your car. I was lucky since I didn't bother if I get hit by some other car or if I hit any of those parking guys, I just speed up and ran away (that is after they tried to hit my window mirror and in the process only ended up giving a dent on the side door).

2.) The SHIT BEGGARS- They say they used to be on the nairobi roads 3-4 years back but guess what.. They ARE BACK!! Shit beggars, as the name suggests are a group of beggars who'd come to your car while you wait at the traffic signal and ask for money. In case your reaction is negative, they bring forward their other hand which would be full of SHIT and if you still dont pay them their "well deserved" money, they'd throw it on your pants/skirt/Suit or whatever ur wearing.
Now for obvious reasons, you're left with 2 choices

a.) Drive your car with the windows closed.
b.) Pay them whatever change you have to avoid embarrassment and a scary-smelly-shitty experience.

PS:- This happened to one of my colleagues and interestingly he is a Kenyan-Kenyan, not an expat; not any other race born in Kenya. If this can happen to him, it can happen to anyone of us.

God Bless!!

The SHIT BEGGARS are back, oh no !!! A real Nairobian experience !

My advice, don't drive expensive car and you will be OK :)

kindly in case of any crime or  you know any insecure places in Nairobi,report to this website and immediate action will be taken care of:http://www.kenyapolice.go.ke/report_a_crime.asp

have had a run in with the so called shit beggers n wount say am looking forward to meeting them again so i got my air con fixed n neva eva i do open my my windows..

You have to drive everywhere in Nairobi with your windows closed shit beggars or not. Secondly you never leave any documents or valuables in the back seats of your vehicle especially now that the new road construction is occuring within the museum hill area extending right up to Muthiaga and beyond.
  The worst stretch is from the Pangani Roundabout coming into forest road opposite the Nairobi Gymkhana. These goons come in 4's and 5's and start banging on your bonnet to distract you while one of them opens your back doors through open windows and take all your stuff in the back. They then run away down the old cemetery into the slums off city park.
So please watch out .I have seen 3 motorists mugged in this manner.

hello, am talking to an employer to relocate to nairobi from india. these kind of instances are putting me off.