Separation Paper effectiveness

Hi,

Me and my Norwegian boyfriend are planning to marry soon he get his divorce paper. My boyfriend have separation paper valid until January 11 2016. It stated that they have one year to recover the relationship as husband and wife and it is one year this coming January 11 2016. My question is after the said date is that mean we can get married??

Congratulations 
I wish you happy life

hi mitz.

i believe you can only get  married once the divorce is final... separation technically,  ur boyfriend is still married and he cant get married if he is just separated with his ex-wife..  he can apply for divorce at least one year after separation.. once the divorce is final,  i think thats when he is free to marry you..

the validity is for the separation status... in my understanding, if the separation is valid until january 2016, then after that either they file for divorce,  or their status will be back to "married" again...

source: Separation -  Skatteetaten

pheebz0501 wrote:

hi mitz.

i believe you can only get  married once the divorce is final... separation technically,  ur boyfriend is still married and he cant get married if he is just separated with his ex-wife..  he can apply for divorce at least one year after separation.. once the divorce is final,  i think thats when he is free to marry you..

the validity is for the separation status... in my understanding, if the separation is valid until january 2016, then after that either they file for divorce,  or their status will be back to "married" again...

source: Separation -  Skatteetaten

Hi,

Do you have idea if how many months or year it will take to get the divorce paper?

sadly,  i have no idea how long a divorce proceeding will take.. :(

what i can tell is that applying for a divorce does not automatically allow him to be free for marriage.. he has to wait until it is final or a judgement has been made:

10. When does the divorce finally dissolve the marriage?
According to the Marriage Act section 25 § 1, the divorce normally enters into effect on the day the licence is issued by the County Governor or the judgment is pronounced. A licence or judgement for divorce, however, does not  give the right to contract a new marriage until the licence has become final or the judgment has become legally binding (the Marriage Act section 25 § 2).

so this may take a while after the application of divorce, depending on the grounds of separation or if consent (from the other spouse) is relevant..

source: Norway Divorce -  pdf file

sorry  if i cant help on this :(