Advice?

Im a 25 yr old male whose sense of adventure isnt quite over with yet...i take that back burns quite deep still hahaha...i served 5 yrs in the military lived in asia and europe didn't really care for them...then bout a yr ago i seated a girl from brazil and her passion for her country and life in general kinda resparked my old enthusiasm for life again...so i've been thinkin seriously about relocating to a country that from what she says all thinks like her...so i don't really know what to do to make all this happen...im more of a unorgizined spur of the moment and make it work kind of guy so any advice that would help me out in my preperations would be mug appreciated...i want the nitty gritty so to speak of soa pula or brazil in general...how life there living jobs parties real life...not wat u read on the net bout paradise and ect.

Well, soa pula does not exist, it's Sao Paulo. hehe. i'm not going to lie to you, life in Sao Paulo, and virtually anywhere in Brazil is not easy. There are over 20 million people in Sao Paulo, it's a jungle and is intimidating for even the biggest tough guy. If you don't speak Portuguese, have zero connections, and zero idea about how Brazil works, then you will be in trouble. If you are coming by yourself you HAVE to speak Portuguese, English will help you get jobs but without Portuguese you can pretty much forget getting a job. You should know that the salary pay for most jobs is very low, and that for the most part the cost of living is very high. You will have to get a job in order to stay here as you will need a visa. You can get a tourist visa to come down here and find a job, then you can return to the US and apply for a work visa. You have to have an employer who will apply for a visa for you through the department of labor. The only other visas you can get are if you marry a Brazilian or get a student visa. once you have a path and can speak portuguese, the bad part will be over and you can enjoy the great culture, wonderful food and wonderful people :)

boa sorte

I apologize bout the typos im writing from my phone so it misspells and i don't realize it hahaha and as for bein a tough guy im a softie :P j.p. but the visas were what i was confused about as far as everything else im used to low pay high living hahaha nothin new...i need a change of scenery...and as i said aside from australia. Brazil holds my only intrest i been everywhere else....but thanx for the info mallory!!!...as for the over 60 gentleman if u don't like the way things were writtin then don't respond its that simple

ei8ght,

How about just travel here to set up connections, check the place out, get a feel of things, and test out the water?  I have lived in several countries and grew up in California.  Brazil is very very different as Malloryelise said.  I had a hard time the first 2 months here. 

But I don't want to spoil your fun and dream.  Check it out yourself.

Oh i plan on it...im doin this program where i live with a brazillian family and help them with english...its voluntary and its for a yr so im gonna see how i like it through that and if its what all i think it is then i will seriously think and plan on moving...as of now im extremly infatuated because of my girl/ friend hahaha...deffinatly will feel things out cuz its a life change and life style change

MARRY your brazilian girlfriend an come over...rsrs

Welcome to our country and paridise.

Let me tell you something, U'll find a lot of different kinds of things...food, culture...a mix of everything !!!
Don't expect a  place with centuries of history...remember we'r very young...only 510 y.old.
warm heart pple.
U'll find wonderful places as miserable ones too...
Too much of everything ( later u'll know what I'm talking abt).
But you know...our country is blessed, no earthquakes, no taifuns, no wars ( besides the ordinary issues).
But as usual as in evry country, you'll find the positive and neg. sides.
and in the end ...you'll love our country and pple.
But please don't miss the chance to figure it out by the others might say.

Regards, Bya.

I totally agree guys...i have been here for two weeks, and um tired from using ma hands to tell ppl what i want....it is a disaster....