Left hand Drive cars

Morning everyone.
Coming from the bottom end of Africa we drive on the left hand side of the road in right hand drive cars.

Next week I move to Riyadh and have the daunting task of learning to drive a left hand drive car.

Now I know I am not the first to go through this, can anyone offer any silly tips to make it easier? Especially in Saudi!!

Thanks guys

My suggestion is to make full use of your two side mirrors and also the rear view mirror in order to get used to seeing the traffic flowing in the adjacent lanes and getting used to the feel for driving on the left.

Most of the highways here are massive and one needs to keep a close eye on the adjacent lanes for vehicles driving at break neck speed (over 120kph) overtaking on all sides.

One more thing, I keep my side mirrors at 90 degrees to the body of the vehicle so I get a better view of the adjacent lanes and use the rear view mirror to figure out whose on my tail on each side.

Good Luck!

Welcome to the Kingdom, and to the forum,

It's not that hard, I would say. You just make sure you put your seat belt when you do the test, never stop on the STOP sign even if the man tells you to do so, when you pull over, make sure you turn on the warning light "Not sure if that its name", and GOOD LUCK.

Ramon,

Chilly wrote:

Morning everyone.
Now I know I am not the first to go through this, can anyone offer any silly tips to make it easier? Especially in Saudi!!

Thanks guys

Remember that here (and in most of the world) the driver's side of the car goes in the middle of a two lane road.  If you always remember that, you'll do fine.

Nothing else is difficult.

Ramon1990 wrote:

Welcome to the Kingdom, and to the forum,

It's not that hard, I would say. You just make sure you put your seat belt when you do the test, never stop on the STOP sign even if the man tells you to do so, when you pull over, make sure you turn on the warning light "Not sure if that its name", and GOOD LUCK.

Ramon,

Do I understand this right? There is a test?
I hope not, I've been driving for 28 years, picked up a few bad habits in that time

They are not gonna believe your documentation, Chilly.
Seeing is believing, here
Just get in and go

International driving licence OK??

Check the guide for more info on getting a driver's license.

The plot thickens, thanks for the feedback

you mean, The Thlot Pickens, Fanks for the Theedback?