Buying a car in Malta

Hello,
I am a British citizen currently living in Bahrain. I am moving to Malta in a couple of months and am planning to buy a car once I get there. Currently I only hold a Bahraini driving license. Does anyone know if that is good enough or will I have to go through the whole process of getting a Maltese driving license? If so, whats the process of getting one?

Thanks!

You can use your licence for 12 months from  entering Malta after that you will need to take a driving test for a Maltese (European) licence.

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … ng-licence

Terry

I see. So will my Bahraini driving license be sufficient to buy a car and register it in Malta?

You don't need a driving licence to buy and register a car.

Great. Regarding this 12 months rule, does it imply that every time I leave Malta then come back I will get 12 more months of validity for my Bahraini license? Or is it only counted from the first time I enter?

From  the TM website...
"Any person holding a licence issued outside Malta and the European Union shall be entitled to drive in Malta for a period not exceeding twelve months from the date of his last entry into Malta".

Looks like you might get away with it!   :)

Terry

where did you pass your test ?

Bahrain

ah :-( I was hoping it was UK and transferred licence to Bahrain

Oh how come? Will it make a difference for me? Or do you plan on moving there

Gary2015 wrote:

Oh how come? Will it make a difference for me? Or do you plan on moving there

The reasoning, I think, was that if that had been the case, then you would be entitled to apply for an EU licence issued by the Maltese authorities as you would have passed your test in an EU country

Ray

Yes you are ok to use your driving license everybody else I know that is from other parts of the world use what they have without any problems and you will find the police are not that much bothered. Car hire I don't know even car insurance I was not asked anything about my license so I hope this helps