LIfe Partner Permit

I'm a University student studying in Cape Town. I have been dating my South African Partner for over 2 years already and would like to apply for the Life Partner Permit. The VFS site seems pretty confusing though. Does anyone know which "Visitor's" visa section this permit falls in when applying on the VFS site?


I'm also applying for a LPP, and i'm also finding the process very confusing. I'm applying from the US, and as far as I understand it's a temporary residence permit application with life life partner affidavit attached (which can be found in the downloadable forms on the US consulate website).
In addition, I'm supplying letters from friends and family who can confirm that myself and my partner have been in a relationship for 4 years and we've been cohabiting during that time, as well as bank statements to prove financial security.
You're mentioning VFS.. is that because you're planning to apply from SA? You need to be in your home country to make application for a new visa. Frustrating.
Hope that helps!

Hi, I believe you can apply for a new visa internally, as long as you're not currently on a 90 day visitors visa.

I believe your application would be an 11 (6), which is a temporary residents permit but falls under visitors visa in the act. Since you're a student and don't need to get a work endorsement on your visa, you could also apply for a section 18 relatives permit I believe (No working rights can be endorsed on this one).

I'm applying for one soon, and I too am really struggling to understand the docs needed. Luckily we have a cohabitation agreement, we can get friends to write letters, our accounts have the same address and I'm thinking we open an account with joint signing rights.

Good luck!

@tebogo86 is correct - while not on a Visitor's Visa (Section 11), with a few exceptions and waivers, you cannot apply from within SA.

@QuaggaKid - proving your relationship exists to Home Affairs is a mission, no doubt!

Hey guys... Just an update. I submitted my application on the 8th of June 2015 and collected yesterday 28th July 2015. It's a lot of work but definitely worked out well and worth it. I did it without any agent, practitioner or lawyer. Just a little help from Google searches and advice from good people on forums like these. If anyone else needs help I'm willing to help out :)

Would you care to share what documents you submitted with your application? This is my first time applying with vfs, been through home affairs quite a few times, and just want a heads up on what I can expect.

Thanks :)

Hi I'm applying for a LPP what information do I need my family and friends to put into the statements? Any help would've greatful.



You don't actually "need" them to do wite letters for you but it would be extremely helpful, especially when applying for the first time because the visa applications are assessed/granted on an individual basis. Attach all the VFS-listed documentation and then add as much as you can - photos, testimonials, flight bookings, shared accounts, etc. It will help you a lot

Thank you, I am really worried that I'll be rejected and it's hard enough for me living in the UK whilst my partner is building a business in South Africa.

I also had the same anxiety when I applied. I have shared the official requirements checklist below to help everyone out (Copy-Pasted):

 Duly completed online form. Handwritten forms will not be accepted by Department of Home Affairs

 Valid passport which expires in no less than 30 days after expiry of the intended date of departure from the Republic

 The application is being submitted in person, no less than 60 days prior to the expiry date of the applicant’s visa and if the visa was issued for less than 30 days, not later than seven working days before the expiry of the visa.

 A yellow fever vaccination certificate if that person travelled or intends travelling from or transiting through a yellow fever endemic area: (Provided that the certificate shall not be required where that person travelled or intends travelling in direct transit through such area)

 Police clearance certificate issued by the police or security authority in each country where the relevant applicant resided for 12 months or longer after attaining the age of 18 years, in respect of criminal records or the character of that applicant, which certificate shall not be older than six months at the time of its submission: (Provided that the certificate shall not be required from a foreign country in the case of renewal or extension of a visa but from the Republic)

 A medical report not older than 6 months..

 A radiological report. Provided that a radiological report shall not be required in respect of children under the age of 12 years or pregnant women;

 Marriage certificate or in the case of a foreign spousal relationship, proof of official recognition thereof issued by the authorities of the foreign country of the applicant (where applicable).

 The affidavit where a spousal relationship to a South African citizen or resident is applicable, as well as documentation proving cohabitation and the extent to which the related financial responsibilities are shared by the parties and setting out the particulars of children in the spousal relationship.

 Divorce decree, where applicable.

 Court order granting full or specific parental responsibilities and rights, where applicable.

 Death certificate, in respect of late spouse, where applicable.

 Written consent from both parents and full parental responsibilities, where applicable.

 Proof of adoption where applicable.

 Legal separation order, where applicable.

 Proof of kinship, within the second step, between the applicant and the citizen or permanent resident in the form of
a)An unabridged birth certificate; and
b) Where necessary, paternity test results.

 The financial assurance contemplated in section 18(1) of the Act shall be an amount, per person per month, as determined from time to time by the Minister by notice in the Gazette, to be proven by means of a current salary advice or a certified bank statement not older than three months at the time of application. (Provided that the financial assurance shall not be required where the South African citizen or permanent resident is a dependent child). (this was R8500 when I applied)

 Proof of payment of the applicable fee


 Both partners to a homosexual or heterosexual relationship must be interviewed separately, on the same date and time, to determine the authenticity of the existence of their relationship. (this is directly from the checklist but I was personally never interviewed)

 A relative's visa may be issued for a maximum period of two years at a time

 The holder of a relative’s visa may not conduct work. (I had to lodge an application for the Visitor's 11 (6) extension at a later stage to be able to work - same requirements as listed here plus the job offer)

 An applicant for a visa in terms of the Act who asserts in his or her application to be a spouse, as defined in section 1 of the Act and has been issued with a visa must, after a period of two years from the date of issuing of that visa, inform the Director-General whether or not the spousal relationship still exists by submitting to the Director-General an affidavit on Part B of Form 12

 An applicant contemplated in Immigration Regulation 3(1) who has been granted a visa or permanent residence permit on the basis of the relationship must immediately inform the Director-
General when his or her relationship ceases to exist.

 The Director-General may, upon receipt of the information contemplated in Immigration 3(5), withdraw the visa or permanent residence permit issued on the basis of the existence of a permanent homosexual or heterosexual relationship.

 Whenever it appears to the Director-General that a visa or permanent residence permit was acquired through error, misrepresentation or fraud, he or she shall withdraw the visa or permanent residence permit and, where applicable, cause criminal charges to be laid against all parties implicated in the misrepresentation or fraud.

Hi sorry for all the questions but do I have to do an affidavit for a new application?? Because my partner is in South Africa and I'm in the U.K.?

Yes. The affidavit is compulsory... that and the notarial agreement are VERY important

Thank you so much for your help. Do you have a copy of your Notarial agreement that I could look at please?

Hello, I'm in a similar situation. My partner is in SA and I'm in the UK and we need a notorial agreement for my LPP. What did you do? Are we able to construct one and sign it and post to each for my notary to stamp? Any advice much appreciated!

Hi, please email me at: *** so I can discuss this with you.


Moderated by Priscilla last year
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi guys, these information are so helpful. I'd like to ask my own questions if you don't mind. I will be traveling to SA on a tourist visa to get married to my South African fiance. I have all the documents ready so its not a problem. my fiance has gone to Home Affairs several times to confirm everything as well. After getting married, we will be coming back to Philippines (my country) to apply for a Spousal visa.

My concern now is getting my brother in South Africa with us. I tried contacting VSF and I was told that he can only stay for a maximum of 3 months. I need to have my brother with me in South Africa since I'm his only guardian. Is there some kind of a Relative's Visa he can apply for and is he able to apply for that while I apply for my Spousal Visa?

The first time visa application life partner must be made in the country where you are staying normally. Only extensions can be made with vfs.

Good day,

You don't necessarily need to apply for the life partner visa in your home country.

I applied in South Africa for my life partner visa 11.6 with work endorsement and it has been granted for two years.

New topic