Moving to Cape Town and Visa's

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice as I am totally confused lol I am 23 and looking to move from the UK to Cape Town. I have a british partner who's 28 and a son aged 2. I own a british passport however lived in South Africa aged 6months-13years old and have a South African ID card from when i lived there and had permenant residence. However I have been in England for the past 10 years. Does my ID card expire at all ?!

Will i need to go through with visa's and if so what type. I have my Uncle aunt and grandmother living out there. Does that benefit us moving at all !?

Im hoping to go over and work and just have a better lifestyle really with my family out there.

Appreciate any advice what so ever as this is rather new to me and ALOT to look into and plan.

Tasha :D

Hi Tasha, welcome to Expat.com :)
Maybe the best advise one could give you (as your problematic is very specific) is to contact the consular services at the SA Embassy in UK with all your papers and expose them your questions.
Please keep us updated on the info you receive from them! :)
Cheers
Arlette

I FeeAcer,

Many thanks for the reply. Seemed alot read but didnt post.
I have just retrieved my permit of permanent residence form !! So will be heading to south africa Embassy in London ( only 30mins from me )in a weeks time and see what they say.

Thanks will update of course.

Another hurdle I have is family live in South Africa..some in Cape Town some outskirts of Joburg - Muldersdrift/krugersdorp way.. which would people suggest moving wise is best. Quality of life wise?? !

I would suggest Cape Town! :)

i would say cape town too -if your basing your decision upon lifestyle choices. krugersdorp is quite pretty, but alot more stressful i.e. security and even going to work in the mornings your car will be stationary for a couple of hours going to and from, due to the many traffic jams. also, krugersdorp is quite a bit away from many things too.

Where will you stay in Cape Town? Will you need to find a property?