Temporary Life Partner Visa, please HELP!!

Hi!

I am just wondering if you would be able to give me any information about the temporary life partner visa.
I am a UK citizen and currently living over here, yet my boyfriend is a SA citizen and living in Cape Town.
I want to move over there, but I am aware that one of the requirements for the temporary life partner visa is that you have to provide proof that we are cohabiting. Yet we havent yet lived together, I have stayed with him and his family and vise versa.

Is there any way around this, or any way that I could go over there for the 90 days and then apply for a further 90 days, in which time we would live together and arrange for a joint bank account to be opened?

Any help or advice would be great!
Thanks.

Hello KirstenMckie and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to browse through the forum, it may help.;)

Harmonie.

I'm in a similar situation, my partner moved back to SA from UK after 12 years over here. He has set up his own practice and me and my children are moving over to SA to all be together. We have no evidence of co-habiting as he stayed with me in my house so all bills etc are still in my name.
Have you had any success so far with your progress?
Debi

Hi KirstenMckie and debi13. (debi13, I did read your post)

I would absolutely advice you to apply from your home country, Really I cannot stress enough how much easier it is to apply at an embassy than at home affairs (HA) in S.A.  I just received my LLP/spousal/relative visa, many names same thing, I applied for the visa early august 2011, it took almost 9 months. If you apply for it at the embassy it should not take more that 2 – 3 weeks.

And if you think the people at the embassy are not being helpful, try the people at HA, they are outright hostile and rude.

They made a BIG deal out of the cohabitation, I really don't think there is a way out of that one.
Debi13: You must be a bit creative of how to prove your cohabitation, get your landlord to testify that you lived together, official letters you both received at the same address, you must have something, does not have to be both your names on the lease or deed.

I  think you must really consider what kind of visa it is you want/need, are you planning  to work, then you need a job offer before you can apply for the work permit/work endorsement, if you do not need to work, maybe you should try another visa, just to get you started, like a volunteer or study visa, (you would then have to volunteer or study)     

KirstenMckie: You cannot open a bank account on a holiday visa, also you do not need a joint bank account, you must just prove that you both got funds and state that you will support each other financially.   

Remember that you cannot apply for any other visa if you entered S.A. on a holiday visa, you can only extend to another holiday visa.

We have discussed these things a lot on this forum, maybe you should reading all the old discussions and pick up good advice.

I wish you both good luck.

Regards Sarah

Sarah is right, although nowadays the Life Partner Permits are coming out within weeks, even in South Africa.

You must noticed that you and your partner need to complete an Affidavit and you must give the full form together either in South Africa or In UK, but you MUST be together when you are applying...
I did it in April and get my permit in May 2012...

I didn't open a bank account, my partner Bank statement is enough and if you had travel together copy your passeport visa...It proves that you together from X month / years...