Life Partner Questions

Hey guys,
I'm new in this forum and I see that there are A LOT of life partner visa questions! I hope mine doesn't get buried, because I'm very unsure of what to do.

I reside in Cape Town on a 3-year life partner visa that is set to expire in April of this year. I initially went through a service to get it done, but I can't afford that this time around.

I called home affairs and got mixed answers from two woman, which is why I'm coming to you guys.

1) Can I renew or extend my three year life partner visa? How do I do this?
2) If I can not extend or renew, what forms and proof do I need? I've seen so many forms listed and so many random things like "knowing the color of their toothbrush" to providing shared financial documents.
3) Is there another form for the work permit aspect? I would like to continue working at my current job and possibly another one in the future.
4) My US Passport expires next year. Should I renew this before I renew my visa? Or how easy is it to transfer my visa to a new passport?

Another reason I'm concerned is because I was reading that immigration laws have changed.

Please, if someone can make a list of requirements needed...or anything to make Home Affairs go as easily and smoothly as possible, I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks in advance,
Beth

(I decided to add a little info about my situation!
-We are not married, but do live together. We've been together 4 years. No kids)
-We share a bank account
-We work together for the same company

Hope this helps!)

Hello ruzabeth.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll get some useful informations soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

1) Can I renew or extend my three year life partner visa? How do I do this?

Yes. You can apply for an extension.

2) If I can not extend or renew, what forms and proof do I need? I've seen so many forms listed and so many random things like "knowing the color of their toothbrush" to providing shared financial documents.

You can renew. I've never heard of Home Affairs asking about toothbrushes. :) But shared financial responsibility is essential.

3) Is there another form for the work permit aspect? I would like to continue working at my current job and possibly another one in the future.

This part confused me - you have only a "life partner" permit (a type of relative's permit), but you say you are working - which is not legal on a "life partner" permit. Please check exactly what your permit says and the Section. 18? 11(6)?

4) My US Passport expires next year. Should I renew this before I renew my visa? Or how easy is it to transfer my visa to a new passport?

It is not necessarily difficult to "transfer" (we call it a passport landing) a permit from one passport to another, but it is something best avoided, so I would advise getting a new passport first if you can. However, April is very close and I would apply for a renewal as soon as you possibly can.

As you state, even asking Home Affairs does not bring the same (or the correct) answer. Now you are asking on a forum, which is a good thing to start research, but may not bring totally correct information either. You simply have to find an immigration expert somewhere to assist you if you want to be 100% sure.

Good luck!