Typical pre-relocation questions...

Hello Dear Expats,

I've got a job offer from Bulgaria and considering it seriously. Last time I've been to Bulgaria was in late '80s and I guess things changed since then ;)
I've read topic Sofia and Absent's answers were very helpful
but I still need to ask few a questions:
1. would you recommend to contact owners directly (like ones posting on imoti.net) or it's safer to use broker or agency? If the latter, who pays broker's fee? me or owner?
2. typically, do I pay for rental monthly or a couple of months in advance?
3. will brokers/owners speak english in most of the cases?
4. would you have any idea about international kindergartens/preschools? average cost? can you recommend any?

thanks in advance for replies...
cheers!

Welcome to Expat.com, Foo :)
Wish you soon responses to your questions from other members in Bulgaria :)

hey guys!!
Foo's questions are actually of great interest!! I am in the same situation, soon moving, next week (!!) and looking for a flat, could you help us please?

1. would you recommend to contact owners directly (like ones posting on imoti.net) or it's safer to use broker or agency? If the latter, who pays broker's fee? me or owner?
4. would you have any idea about international kindergartens/preschools? average cost? can you recommend any?

Thank you very much in advance,

Elsa

Hi, there!
I am a Bulgarian lawyer (I do not plan to advertise myself, only want to answer the questions above). So:

I recommend: use broker, or hire a lawyer. If prefer broker - turn to bigger one, you wil recognise them from web-sites. If you have a direct contact with a seller - hire your own lawyer, and make a written contract with him/her - hire to look after your interests in the deal. Be careful: hire lawyer, NOT notary! Notary is the nesessary place for concluding the notary deed, but notary (regarding bulgarian laws) are not engaged to keep YOUR own interest. They must only look if the deal is not against the law. You know, a deal could be not against the law, but so could be against your interests... From the begining of the "economic crisys" it was created a practise here, if you are buyer, NOT to pay to the broker. BUT you must insist of it, it is not a rule, you should negotiate....

The practises are different, you could negotiate...
No. If you turn to bigger broker company - yes, in most cases.
No idea....

Hi there..!

Use an Agency!!! .., it is not so expensive.., but it is almost free of risks... The biggest Agencies in Sofia have at least bilingual websites, and in most cases there is at least one of the agents in these agencies, occupied with foreigners.

For sure you have to be ready to pay for two months the amount of the lease - one  as a rent for living in the one next month, and the other for deposit, as a guarantee! - The deposit has to be kept by the owner, until you are living in his property, and when you are going to leave, in case everything is alright.., and the property is in "well conditions" (nothing broken, and everything there as it was...) you have to get your deposit back.
But it is the same situation in all the world, I think... Moreover.., in France and UK, for example, you can not rent a flat or house without having a working contract, (permanent employment contract), on a salary, which is more than 3 times the rental price... 

Come back in Sofia again: In addition, if you use an agency, you will owe the agency a commission, amounting to a half of a monthly rent, so in the beginning you must have two and a half months rent, just to have the chance to go into rented accommodation...
Often owners want an advance payment... But these deposits they are not considering as an advance payment! - it is just for guarantee for the property!
I can give the website addresses of the biggest property agencies in Sofia, and if you still need an info.., you can give me a pm - I just would not like to advertise anyone and anything for free... :D

If you need some more information, do not hesitate to ask... I will be happy to help! ;)

About the "international kindergartens/preschools? average cost? can you recommend any?" - there is a big problem with the kindergartens here in Sofia... But there is always a private ones... Also you can think about a nanny, for example.., which can prepare the kid(s) for Bulgarian school... There are lots of secondary language schools...

Hi everybody!!! Just settled in Sofia,
we found a flat very easily, through an agency.
AT the moment furnished 2 bedroom flats in the center of Sofia start at 350euros a month.
You have to pay half a month to the agency and one month deposit.
People we were in contact with spoke english and were all very nice!!

Good luck

Elsa

As far as international preschool, check out this one: AAS Sofia

There other schools as well, I will come back to post links and info here.

When it comes to paying the broker fees, as noted the seller should, but still almost all agencies will ask the buyer to pay, so I guess negotiation has to be emphasized here.

what would be a reasonable salary for a management position? or an entry level? moving to bulgaria and need to find out more on that...any news?

Nickolas, are you asking what would be a good salary to allow you to have a comfortable life here in Sofia? I would say at least 1500€/month. But not many folks clear out that much here in Sofia. But it depends on what type of management you are looking at?!

Hi Foo,
About the Kindergartens in Bulgaria - international ones /English speaking/ are only private. Fees start from 400 EUR per month full time and reach 600 EUR and more..
Not many English speaking kindergartens actually.
But I have heard the best are located in the suburb areas of Sofia - those near the mountain /houses with gardens are the best in my opinion/

I plan to leave the little one in the mornings in a Day care/Kids center /I think I found what I was looking for/ and maybe meet other expat Moms and kids in the afternoon
/posted a topic about making a Kids playgroup in Sofia/
If u are interested in meeting up with other expat moms - u can join us on the forum.