Further question on lawyers

Have additional question regarding lawyers... Further to a previous post when I needed to consult a lawyer regarding authentication of a document.
I did go and see that guy Polo, Gypsy401 recommended.

He said he didn't actually do that kind of thing and recommended a notary and in fact his assistant went with the document to the notary and returned it shortly after and I paid at Polos place.

On the document there were two places that needed to be signed, first by myself and underneath by the notary with his address and stamp.

But noticed later that although he did sign in the correct place where he should have, he also signed again above on the line were I was supposed to sign, so next to my signature he placed his again. So in other words there are now two signature where there should only be mine.  No idea why he did that as I made it quite plain where it should be signed and who should sign it.

I have now had communication from the Department I sent the document to, saying they will not accept the document in its present form.
Signatures should be correctly placed on the documents.
So I am pretty irritated by that, as the matter was urgent and now all this time wasted and on top it looks like I shall have to do the document again!
So I do not know if the Notary will correct his mistake, or if I shall have to pay again? Another 1000 Peso down the drain, which would irritate me even more since the mistake is on his side!

Knowing the Gringo rip off game, guess its going to be a problem :-(

Just need to pick the right lawyer

Bob K

Absolutely agree.  Don't let the document out of your sight and make sure it is done right....And yes you will end up paying again....

Explain problem to Polo & he should be able to rectify the problem.   1,000 oeso is too much, tell that to Polo too!   I'm in contact with him regularly so will mention it to him.  Good luck.  I;m sorry you had the mix up.

Actually 1000 pesos to get something notarized properly is pretty cheap. Most reputable lawyer I know charge at least twice that.

Bob K

Gypsy you are out of touch on prices. Hey Bob in the capital and larger cities  1,000 is the regular price.  There is good competition in larger centers.   But it is not unusual to pay up to 1500 -  anything higher is too much!

Here on the north coast it is closer to 2000 pesos as the norm

Bob K

You are right. I'm out of touch.  But soon shal be very much in touch. Thanks.

Yes you will Gypsey..... Bob too many expats - drive up prices.....!

It is not too many ex-pats, but how they show & spend their money. Flaunting a much higher life style & exhibiting superior attitudes is as much a factor as anything else.  They should show respect for the customs, culture & the language of their adopted country.  An aloof & arrogant demeanor due a great deal of damage.   I don't mean to demean them, but a more accepting attitude towards the locals would go a long way to improving the relationships. Please don't take this as a personal attack,  after all, I was an ex-pat & soon will be one again.

Gypsy you make a very good point. That is clearly part of the problem here.

Gypsy you are correct on many levels. Those that move here and want things to be the same are part of the problem.

Bob K

Well yes, although I agree some Gringos definitely could behave better, lets get that into perspective a bit ..not all is sweetness and light from the Dominican side either - respect is a two way street!

There are certain types here who could not care less if you respect their culture or not,  they will still con you, rob you, break into your house and maybe worse ..as some people here no doubt have experienced.

I always respect the culture of where ever I happen to live, including DR ,,but still got robbed and slashed with a knife in PP not so long ago.

Sorry to hear about that but bad things happen to good people all over the world. It is not just the DR.  Yes there are good and bad where ever you may be.

Bob K

So true, so lets keep our eyes and ears open and keep sharing what we know.

Just because you live in paradise does not mean everything is "paradise".  You still need to keep your wits about you and don't do stupid things.  In the states many places being caught with a "joint" gives you a slap on the wrist.  Here plan on spending a good long time in jail.

Bob K