American Visa Issues

Hi Everyone!

I am planning on coming over to Spain for a while in September and have a few questions.  First, as an US citizen, do I need to have a return ticket in order to get past immigration at the airport (I don't have a visa)?  I've heard lots of conflicting answers over this one and was just wondering what kind of experiences you've had in regards to air tickets--it seems so silly/expensive to buy a return when I don't know when I'd be leaving.

My plan is to study Spanish for a month or two and then try and find some English tutoring work.  I've always wanted to go to Spain and realize the 90 day tourist visa restriction, but have read about many other Americans moving over there and living 'under the radar'.  Have you known anyone who is successfully doing this?  Is it possible to travel outside of the Schengen area every 90 days and return to Spain without difficulty?

My other thought is to apply for a student visa before I leave so it exceeds the 90 day tourist limit--is this something I absolutely have to do in the US or can I apply once I get to Spain?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks,
Jessica

Hey Jessica!
Mmmm as an American living over here, I can only answer one of your questions- about entering thru without a return ticket. First of all, if you do research one-way tickets, they're generally MORE expensive than round-trips...for some weird reason. I have bought a number of round-trips that were only one-ways in reality. Better to cover your bases- who knows what those passport swiper machines know, right?
ANyways, when I entered Europe last time, they checked my passport and stamped me in Paris. When we flew in to Barcelona, nobody asked for anything- which was kinda weird- we just grabbed our bags, and walked thru customs to the exit. Maybe this was because I went thru France first....I dunno!
Anyways, I'm here with my husband, who has EU citizenship, so my situation is different than yours. I imagine you'll have people say Oh Spain is really tough right now, don;t bother coming, etc. But hey- if you come with an open mind (and some money saved) and see what happens in 90 days, you don't have much to lose, right? Worst case scenario you go back to the States after a fun vacation in Spain!
Well, suerte from one midwesterner to another! Indiana, whazup!:)
-Angela

Hello Jessica,

You should consult the link below:
https://www.expat.com/en/guide/europe/s … spain.html

Pertaining to your query about traveling to Barcelona and visa requirements, it might help.

Regards,
Sheetul.

Thanks for the advice!

The return ticket was $400 more expensive than the one-way (which I got for $464-what a steal!) so I'm just going to cross my fingers and try my luck at immigration!

And yes, Angela, you're very right about the attitude to have when making these sorts of decisions.  If I listened to every cautious negative nancy, I'd be living in the midwest for the rest of my life :P  I have two years experience teaching English abroad and have enough money saved so I'm sure I won't be in too bad of shape if the job situation is not ideal right now.  Are you currently working? 

-Jessica :)

atippmann wrote:

ANyways, when I entered Europe last time, they checked my passport and stamped me in Paris. When we flew in to Barcelona, nobody asked for anything- which was kinda weird- we just grabbed our bags, and walked thru customs to the exit. Maybe this was because I went thru France first....I dunno!

Both France and Spain are in the Schengen area, which means that that there should be no border controls between them. Since they all have the same entry requirements, the theory is that if you have got into one of them, you are entitled to enter any.

Anyway, when do arrive Jessica?

I'm sure you will love Barcelona.

Jessica, I read on the US Embassy page for Spain that travelers need to show a return trip ticket or proof of funds for further travel....so maybe just say you're one of those thousands of American kids that do the Eurotour, tell them you're taking the train to Germany or something. If they ask....my husband is convinced that us Americans can get away with anything here, thru customs and whatever, and I think I have to agree, after my experience.

Where the heck did you get a ticket for under $500??? That's amazing! I usually pay twice that! Lucky you!

I'm not working yet, but just this week received my Spanish residency- yay!!! So now I can begin the job searching.:)
If you're planning on teaching English freelance, I recommend once you're here, on getting some pro business cards printed with your name and number....sooooo many people tell me that they have a friend/brother/whomever who wants to learn English and I think it'd make a difference if I could just hand out my cards and they'd call me...looks more pro anyways.
Well, let us know when you arrive! We could meet up for tapas and drinks or something!
Suerte!
-Angela

hey angela!

Yes, I think I could definitely swing something with the one way once I get there--thanks for checking out the embassy page.  I found the ticket on Travelocity actually-by far the best deal I've ever came across while trying to travel out of America (and probably a huge deciding factor in taking the plunge to Spain).

Congratulations on getting your residency! You must be so excited! Are you going to look for teaching jobs? Business cards are a great idea and we should definitely hang out when I get there. My sister is coming over with me and we'll be traveling around for a few weeks, but I should be settled in early October.

Anyways, thank you all for your help!;)

Jessica

I've been here 2 years.  Came through germany with a 1-way ticket no problem twice. I lost my passport and got a replacement in the consulate and it was new without stamps and a a new #.  Loquo is the best place to find extra work. Post a pic and meet in public places and you will have no problems with money nor students.
GL