Visa nightmare! need help!

I am a self employed Canadian and have a one year work visa for Spain.

I would like to know what is the next step to stay longer here?

When I did my visa they told me I cannot renew it as it's only a once in a life time visa. What are my options?

Anybody have suggestions?

Thanks!

G.

Hello Circussss

Congrats for your first post on the Expat.com Forum  :top:

Hope that members around would be able to give you some information on your visa issue.

You may wish to read our article in our section : Work Visas in Spain

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi there!

My name is Damaris and I might be able to help you maybe... or if not just offer you some friendship or at least some tal to start. I'm from Barcelona, native and currently owning my own language school here in Barcelona.

Regards,
Damaris Ropero

Hello Damaris!

Thank you for your quick reply!

I would love to have some information!
At then end I was on phone for a hour with the embassy. So far it seems like I don't have that many options.

You can contact me via email : [email protected]

Looking forward to hear from you soon,

Guillaume

Let's see..

Hello,

You need to go to a visa office (don't know Barcelona) with a bank balance (showing you can support yourself for the next year, health insurance for the year, photos and forms ( download) Asking for a NON LUCRATIVE VISA (meaning you can live here without asking the Spanish for any help. Find a Gestor to help you( recommended) , makes things smoother and less stressful.

The above four lines are a condensed 18 month slog ($$$$ + four countries and embassies) of when we had to get the same visa,

Am pleased to help if you have more questions.

Good luck- we have had a terrible time with our visas as well. We were only granted a long term non-lucrative Visa which I am told, is easy to renew in 2 year increments. My advice would be to apply for a different type of visa if yours can not be extended. Unfortunately, that may require a trip back to Canada and can take some time as well.

who is they ? ....I think you got some bad info .... check with the office where you registered here in spain ... la oficina de extrangeria ...don't waste your time with the city ayuntamiento or policia nacional , you'll get 15 different stories from them .... spain is protectionist of their employment situation but I have a feeling it's different for self employed people ... by the way if you're self employed , if you can show that your're holding in some form around $100 K you can come in under a non-lucrative visa or una visa nonlucrativo .... easy to obtain and forget abt mentioning that you'll be working ...one other note ... this visa also requires you to have your own health ins -. a cheap way to get around that if you haven't made these arrangements is with the bank you use here ... if you don't , you can open an acct easily with your NIE .  all the banks offer affordable ins plans to their acct holders ... do this before heading home if you have to to switch visa types and wait for that to come through ....if you're not fluent in Spanish a friend who is and understands what you'e looking for is a big help ... I was able to get all sorts of info and I speak Spanish but it's useless unless you get it from the wrong source ... and buddy over here the left hand knows nothing about the right hand and is always referring you to someone who knows ......