Residency visa with a right to work for a US citizen. Hard to get?

Hi guys,
Is it hard to get a Spanish residency visa that would allow me to work in Spain? On the website of Consulate general of Spain in New York this visa is called "Residence visa for investors or self-employment."  I want to get such a visa based on self-employment as I have a profitable website that I can manage from anywhere in the world.

Did any of the American expats in Spain experienced difficulties getting a residency visa with a right to work?  I know that there are other types of visas that would allow me to work in Spain, but they require contract from Spanish employers and are only valid for the term of the job contract and need to be constantly extended. 

Thanks to all and lots of luck to everybody!

I don't personally know anyone here in Spain who has done it lately, perhaps someone will respond with better news than me ... I applied for the "Residence visa for self-employment" approximately 9 years ago, and after 30+ months (yes, almost 3 years!) of paperwork, lawyers fees, waiting in lines, etc ... I met someone who knew someone who helped me get my foot in the door ... they call them "enchufes" here in Spain.

It'd help if you were a professional soccer player ... they seem to breeze right through! ... I don't know if there have been any changes [to your advantage] in the recent past ...

Good luck!

Thanks nj_bcn!
What do you think would be the best bet for me to live and work in Spain?

nj_bcn wrote:

I... I applied for the "Residence visa for self-employment" approximately 9 years ago, and after 30+ months (yes, almost 3 years!) of paperwork, lawyers fees, waiting in lines, etc ... I met someone who knew someone who helped me get my foot in the door ... they call them "enchufes" here in Spain.!

I live in Barcelona and am trying to help a US friend do this. Did your application ever come through or did you just go another route through your enchufe?

My problem was resolved through the "enchufe" ... and it's been "smooth sailing" since ...  I wish I could point you in the right direction, but I have no other references.  Sorry... and good luck! (And watch out for scamming lawyers! ... lot's of paperwork, mucha 'pasta' and pocos resultados)