I want to teach English in Korea

Hi- I have just graduated with a BA in Archaeology at the University of Newcastle. I am intending to do a masters or a PhD in Palaeontology at the University of Witswatersrand in South Africa but for a while now I've been thinking of taking a year out of studying and trying to get a job teaching English in South Korea, I have always wanted to visit the Far East and my friend did it a few years ago and loved it, would also be nice to have extra funds for South Africa.

My question is this: In the current climate what is the likelyhood of me getting a Job teaching English in Korea as a British native speaker?
   I have tried to get as much information on the web but the recruiters seem a little non-commital and many websites are geared towards North Americans.
I have heard lots of different things but id like to know what you all think. I am pretty much open to any jobs in all locations (though a city would be preferable anywhere with a decent public transport system would be fine) student age groups (is there a less popular age group which would be easier to find a placement for) and accomodation. I would also be travelling alone.
   I have read a lot about demand outstripping supply for these jobs but I've also seen some scary figures for the amount of applicants for jobs on offers

any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think it's a better idea to come to China to be a English teacher. As far as I know, there are lots of Native English speakes needed in my country. If you want to, please contact me, may be I can help you.

Hello carny_vor,

You might want to insert an ad in South Korea's Classifieds -> Teaching jobs section or if you want to follow zjc2008685's advice, you could check out the same section in China's Classifieds where I have seen some teaching job offers myself :)

Good luck
Arlette

Hello.
I am Korean living in Seoul as a professor and also a business man.
I Have been studying English at Wall street institute Seoul (www.wallstreetinstitute.com) now.
I Know English teacher's life in Korea, and korean English education market.
If you want to know real information about Korean somethings like that from Korean, reply me.

Korea does "prefer" the North American accent, but I know tons of people from the UK working here.  Check out daveseslcafe.com and craigslist for Korea as well.

I've lived in Korea for two years, and personally I prefer Taiwan - and the pay is about the same for the same type of school (public vs. private academy).   

It's easy to get jobs in China (I've been offered four in the last week without hardly trying), but the visa process is harder (particularly the medical exams), and the pay is generally half what you would make in Korea or Taiwan.

For most jobs you are going to have to commit to a full year contract.

I'm doing similar things to you as well.  I worked in US CRM archaeology for years, and when the work dried up, I came to Korea as an economic refugee.  Now I'm planning to start grad school at U. of Edinburgh next fall.  Just hanging on in Korea to save the funds.  It is an enjoyable and comfortable life here - but it is nothing like the rest of East Asia.

therubycanary wrote:

Korea does "prefer" the North American accent, but I know tons of people from the UK working here.

Soo true.  One of the hagwon's asked one of my Europe friends if she could speak with more of a Northern accent.  :P