Cell phone options

I will be arriving in the Abu Dhabi area very soon.  What are my cell phone options once I arrive?
How easy is it to get a cell phone?
What do I need to ask for specifically if I want to be able to text internationally?

Thank you,
Lani

Dear Lani,

no worries. You can buy a mobile sim card either from Etisalat(the biggest UAE mobile company- its roaming) or Du. Mostly- people get Etisalat for some reason.

Etisalat-You can get prepaid sim for 75AED/21US$(U may get 25AED credit bonus- depending on the offer) to be a bit cost effective- they also provide Internet in many packages...for home(250AED per month)/phone(99AED per month).. etc

U need to show ur ID/passport/UAE ID to buy it from any outlet which are widely available in the shopping malls in the city (al wahda mall, Abu Dhabi mall, Marina mall, Khalidiya mall, Al raha mall, and if u live outside the city for example in Khalifa city A or B- u can go to Mazayed mall in musaffah).

Call rate in the US not sure but it wont be more than 2/3 AED per minute, text would be 1AED something or even less.

Int code for UAE 00971 (city code, abu dhabi 02 only for land phone)

I would love to help you with more info- if u need to know.. please don't hesitate.

Take care and safe flight to Abu dhabi :-)

M