Canadian Looking For Work Anywhere in Vietnam

I know he is in Bien Hoa, it would of been interesting to look up his school on the net and see what's happening there.See how he has presented the school and its structure. If someone hides something,then usually it's for a reason,it's human nature.

colinoscapee wrote:

I know he is in Bien Hoa, it would of been interesting to look up his school on the net and see what's happening there.See how he has presented the school and its structure. If someone hides something,then usually it's for a reason,it's human nature.

Yes, 270lbs is not easy to hide.  Legal or not, that is the question, but as long as he is doing good deeds , who cares?

If paying money to the local police is deemed as legal, then I suppose you can have a legal business.More people need to stop paying the police money just to operate a business,the problem with that is the police usually retaliate with violence.

Winchester3030 wrote:

I'm not really pursuing anyone who provides me with a gmail, yahoo. or hotmail email address.  I've been burned in the past (no wasted money, just wasted time) from someone with a hotmail account.

It is common for people in VN to use a general purpose e-mail server even for businesses over here. Yahoo is very popular with VNese. Even sizeable businesses.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

How's the Reversing Falls and Magnetic Hill? I learn to drive on the ice out there on Loch Lomond.

Winchester3030 wrote:

I've been trying to find a job in Vietnam for awhile now and have been unsuccessful.  Could anyone out there suggest any tips for finding work in Vietnam?

Are you any good at running a game of beer pong? Several bars in Nha Trang looking for staff.

The O/P is "looking" for a job.... from his home in Canada! 

What do you expect Winchester?  I hope you're not looking for a school to buy you a plane ticket, because that probably isn't going to happen.

A guaranteed job?  There is no such thing!  Most school managers/owners will tell you there's a job waiting, so you come and then...whoops...they don't like you/your hair/your questions regarding trivial matters (like your salary).  That's when you'd be told that the students think you're boring (the kiss of death in this industry), or that the classes aren't filling up as anticipated, or, or, or...Regardless, you're out and some other schmuck is in.

You will not find a job teaching English in Vietnam while you are in Canada.  That's a virtual certainty.  If you do, please let us know and I'll eat my words.  I've found that they go down a lot easier if I smother them in nuoc mam and chili sauce, so it wouldn't be a problem...

I agree with @Teacher Mark. There are going to be demo classes for different age group, from elementary school to working adult, to see how you do. 4 sessions at least. Which are impossible to conduct if you are in Canadia. We love Canucks, but demo is a must before we even pay.

We do have free accomodation, though. So at least you will have that if you visit us.

There  is no reason to do free demos.  The students pay the centers   they should pay the teachers.  Demos is just a way to get a sucker to teach free.  A pay min pay she be agreed on before any demo is done.

There  is no reason to do free demos.  The students pay the centers   they should pay the teachers.  Demos is just a way to get a sucker to teach free.  A pay min pay she be agreed on before any demo is done.

You are kidding, right?

When I wanted to try my hands at teaching, I was required to do a demo. That's the only way I know I am not good at standing there and speaking to a bunch of curious brats. Teaching personally one or two: okay, but not a whole class. Even though I am very good at other aspects.

Teaching is not depended on your certificates, or your skills. You can teach, or not. Only actual teaching can show that.

If you are not prepared to teach for free, at least one session, they are not prepared to try you. They dont have time. And if you are good, one session should be enough to show that. It's a testing method, not a way to milk suckers. Only sucker would use that method.

I have never demoed a full class.  A few times for 15 minutes max.  If they can't tell in 15 minutes they shouldn't be in business.  And most of the times you can tell by chatting with them.  Demos are a huge scam.  I have taught here since 2008. Like another said . demos are a tool to try to lower your pay.

The time I did the demo is 2011, yeah.

It may be that you can show off your skill in 15 minutes. i dont know. I was not considered to be a good teacher so I can not judge on that. They would give me another chance to demo if I ask, but I didnt like enough to try again. And That was after a short course of training.

But I can say that in Hanoi the demo is normal practice for both VN and foreign teachers in english centers.

The rationale seem to be that if you teach badly, which is normally the case, the center would have to reteach it anyway

EDIT: just check my email record. 2011.

Thank you.  I'm being very cautious about this.  I'm not really pursuing anyone who provides me with a gmail, yahoo. or hotmail email address.  I've been burned in the past (no wasted money, just wasted time) from someone with a hotmail account.  If I'm going to be making the move, I need guarantees.  Do you have any other tips for avoiding potential scams or troubles?

YMMV, but I've been burnt myself by "shoestring operations" which cannot handle a full time teacher. Some situations were utterly bizarre TBH. (Note to self, just when someone promises $ 1,000 a month doesn't mean that center is even grossing $ 300 a month. Enough said).

Another center skillfully made my pay for motorcycle repair. As they hadn't the promised hours, they got 1.5 M Dong out of me. Plus the salary which has remained - surprise?! - unpaid.

* Can you leave the premises? You better make sure you can.

* Ask to speak to an existing teacher there.
* Do not fall for the old trick with some center pretending that their pc microphone isn't working. Had a weird job interview and it was all hogwash  :blink:

Get the contract before you take a bus!! [color=#000000]The center mentioned first presented a contract requiring payment of a 7-figure amount to be sized at will by the company. (Oh, and the owner pretended to be the "manager" and unable to answer a salary related question. But he graciously guaranteed $ 1,000. Yeah, right. The classroom was his dining cum living room. Travel for a whole day to reach such a place and you will amend your own employer screening procedures!  :huh:

Good luck with your job search. Me, I found work pdq, but then I haven't gotten paid. The tally stands at minus 1.7xx Dong
[/color]

@ bluenz Are you still working for the owner of that language center? Have you tried having a word with her?

So is starting a language center a good business...?

Any business is a good business,  if you know what you are doing.

crazy fuss wrote:

Any business is a good business,  if you know what you are doing.

Agree,you must have some idea about the business you are getting into.

People tend to count others money.  Not the hard work they put into their business.  People make millions collecting trash, selling hamburgers, and many more jobs.  they need to stop counting Money and learning business. Being a boss and working with job is not the same.

Language centers are good businesses in Vietnam because our labour force is still building, our economy is expanding, let alone our labour export business. The demand for English training is steady and creeping higher.

It is a hard and demanding business though. In some ways, much more than other type of businesses. They come hand in hand with the specific troubles come with being a school.

you can try searching European international school ho chi minh, viet nam, they may have some recruitment,

A large bar at TONG THAT TUNG @ NGUYEN TRAI (HCM) was advertising in their window for a bar tender (in English).

I realize the thread is old, but it is still handy to read over and look at. I am also quite curious what academy you (crazy fuss) have started, where it is located, and if I could come for a visit sometime in then next few months. Hopefully you see this and can respond sometime before January.

I think you wont be getting a reply from Crazyfuss, that profile is dead.

colinoscapee wrote:

I think you wont be getting a reply from Crazyfuss, that profile is dead.

Fair enough. Thank you for the response regardless. I was kind of surprised to have any response, to be honest.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the jobs section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello carol wilson,

Please drop an advert in the HCMC Jobs section.

I invite you to read Vietnam Forum Code of Conduct.

Thank you.