Excursions during Ramadan?

Is it feasible to leave Tripoli and visit the 'sights' eg Leptis Magna during Ramadan? Will be visiting for 2 weeks and hoping to get out there for a day. Also, are hotels open for refreshments during the day at all or is Libya v. v. strict?

sevenseas wrote:

Is it feasible to leave Tripoli and visit the 'sights' eg Leptis Magna during Ramadan? Will be visiting for 2 weeks and hoping to get out there for a day. Also, are hotels open for refreshments during the day at all or is Libya v. v. strict?

You should still be able to get taxis etc during Ramadan, but beware of drivers in an even worse mood than they normally are :lol:. As for hotels, all the 'high end' ones are open, like the Radisson, Corinthia etc. Try and go to Sabratha first, it is a smaller sight than Leptis, but beautiful.

As for other things being open, I really don't know as everyone I speak to gives me conflicting advice as to whether shops are open or not. No eating/drinking or smoking in public during the hours of Ramadan,I think the hours are 0430 to 2000 obviously the hotels I mention are exempt from this.

Shops are open, but later than usual. Most restaurants and coffee shops close for the whole month.
The major hotels will have somewhere open, for the last few years the Corinthia Italian restaurant upstairs has been open during the day, the cafe in the reception closed.

Hours of operation for most of Libya are reduced at this time and given that it is August...one of the hottest months...you may be hit and miss when it comes to catching the attractions open. For some hours are 10 am till 1pm.  Opening in the evening after 5:30pm or not. No restaurants are open during the day other than the hotels, but at night everything is open along with restaurants and coffee shops. 
You will find downtown Tripoli full of activity late into the night during Ramadan, especially towards the end when everyone is out buying new outfits and gifts for Eid.  It is really quite festive.:) Plus there will be the celebration of 41 years during Ramadan too. 
If you want to make friends I would not eat, drink or smoke in public until dusk.  ;)

Hi, thank you for your replies. Will have the use of a driver but not sure if required to take an organised tour to travel outside Tripoli. Guess I should get in touch with the tourist agency that organised our visas.

Which site - Sabratha or Leptis Magna - would you recommend if only visiting one of them (hot, travelling with children, Ramadan). May try to squeeze it in before Ramadan starts (we get there on the 5th). Likely to be spending most afternoons in hotel swimming pools. :cool: and evenings exploring.

btw when/what is the celebration of 41 years? :)

You will have no problem getting about if you have use of a driver.  As for which is better, they are both nice.  Leptis Magna is a bigger site and very well preserved, but Sabratha is  is a bit closer.  Both right on the beautiful Med.
  I would try to squeeze it in before Ramadan so you can drink on your tour.  It is hot. :cool: Plus with kids, you will need to feed them and during Ramadan that would not be easy.

btw the 41 year celebration I was referring to, is the celebration of the revolution on Sept 1.  Qaddafi lead the revolution 41 years ago on Sept 1, 1969.  There are usually many activities to celebrate this and it is a government holiday.  Last year there were concerts, fireworks etc.

its the Annual celebration of the Revolution

and in Rammadan , shops r open at late morning till sunsit then from early night till late.

resturant and cafeshopes r closed at day time but opened at night.

ppl r a bit quiter in Rammadan a bit difficult for some ppl who smoke but mostly ppl in Rammadan r more friendly, kinder, and happier.

i'm not sure if u aware of wut Rammadn means to Muslims but i'm sure that u wont stay hungry till midnight :P

bluejay wrote:

I would try to squeeze it in before Ramadan so you can drink on your tour.  It is hot. :cool: Plus with kids, you will need to feed them and during Ramadan that would not be easy.

its ok if u drink or eat and specially for kids , we do respect u and ur religion . u have ur lifes and we have ours
in the end we r all humans and only god will judge us ;)

Sweet. I'd forgotten about Sept 1st. That means I can take an extra day off and be the heck out of Dodge even earlier. Happy days.

Leptis during Ramadan will be tough, as Bluejay said, try and get there and see it before it starts. It will be worth the journey.
To get a driver to drive to Leptis, hang around all day then drive back in 30+c temperatures when he hasn't had a drink or food from 06.30 in the morning will be difficult as well as potentially dangerous.

Everything pretty much stops in Ramadan, this year I expect it will be  more so due to the temperature in August, it will be the hottest Ramadan for years. Understandably people will become bad tempered due to lack of sleep, nicotine, fluids and food so expect to see the odd fight on the street from 4pm onwards. Try and stay away from the main shopping areas, it will be utter chaos at this time.

**pops popcorn in microwave and waits for backlash and denials

Hi, cheers for all the advice. Can anyone please tell me when Ramadan is expected to start (yes I know it strictly speaking depends on sighting of the moon) - makes a difference if I'm trying to fit in some sightseeing. Internet search says 11th but DH says 8th - not sure why the difference.

Horizontal Harry wrote:

expect to see the odd fight on the street

Saw a fight almost every day on the Gargaresh Road last Ramadan. Handbags mostly though.
Driving is bad at the best of times, it's mental in Ramadan.

Horizontal Harry wrote:

HOLLY GOATS & CAMELS!!!

Hairy Harry made a joke???!!! I am saving this page.

:top::lol: Too funny!  I'll join you, but I will have to make it on the stove.  Haven't found microwave popcorn yet!:)

Ramadan will start either on the 10th or 11th.  Have not heard the 8th, but stranger things have happened.

metalsaif wrote:

its ok if u drink or eat and specially for kids , we do respect u and ur religion . u have ur lifes and we have ours
in the end we r all humans and only god will judge us
;)

This is like Steve Carell in Dinner for Schmucks when he met the Swiss couple and was trying to make small talk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuN0rm4L … re=channel

LMAO @ Mo!

MoEl , r u tryin to be funny or u r always like that .....

metalsaif wrote:

Mo is always like that :lol:, he is cool though, anyone that likes MMA and respects GSP can't be bad :cool:

metalsaif wrote:

Funny, 'peculiar' ? No, he's always like that. And he's got six toes on his left foot. Just like Halle Berry.

Mudman wrote:
metalsaif wrote:

Funny, 'peculiar' ? No, he's always like that. And he's got six toes on his left foot. Just like Halle Berry.

And that is FIRMLY where the similarities end :lol:

Go to Subrata and get to Dar Eltillil Hotel.  Its located on the beach. very nice but very expensive.... During Ramadan, I think you can have the whole beach by your self and your family.:D;):cool:... here is the web address dar-tellil.com ... I spent the last week there and it was fab!

Is it true that you can only go to Dar Tellil with prior booking or can one go as walk-in guest? My friends and I have been wanting to go there but it seems we have to go thru a travel agent to book. I personally haven't tried calling since they all made it sound like rocket science - it cant be that difficult to book a hotel - even (gulp!)- in Libya, hey?

Could you maybe share the rates as well - or atleast how much it costs for day use? I am having trouble viewing their website as it aborts by itself.

Thanks!

Only those who have memberships can just show up or walk in.  If your company pays a yearly fee of 630 then employees can go and stay for 55 per day all inclusive.  One card will allow three adults and their children. 
For those who do not have membership rates range from 110 up to 350 per night all inclusive, but the 110 rooms are all taken.  Only members can get day passes.  Phone number (218) 023 3643008/10  The number does work, but the receptionist I spoke with did not have much English.  I 'think' she said you need to stay a minimum of three days. :lol:  As for booking, when I mention this she asked for a number to call back.  If you can get to a travel agent, I think that would be the easiest.  It is a beautiful beach so if you like the beach you will enjoy it.  :cool:

bluejay wrote:

I 'think' she said you need to stay a minimum of three days. :lol:  As for booking, when I mention this she asked for a number to call back.  If you can get to a travel agent, I think that would be the easiest.  It is a beautiful beach so if you like the beach you will enjoy it.  :cool:

my local friends also told me that the minimum stay is 3 days at this hotel - so i think you heard correctly, Blue Jay!!:D

But - as i said on another post - the beach just after this hotel is WAY nicer in my opinion than the hotel beach - and has much more shelter for a day visitor!!  (The hotel beach only has palm umbrellas and is very "bare" looking) Three of us took a smaller shelter for the day, and after our local friend negotiated with the chap in charge of renting them out, it cost us just LYD 30 for the day.  There were also larger shelters where people were staying overnight.

We were able to safely leave all our things in the shelter while we went swimming, and they were all right there when we got back!!!  :D