Retiring in Uruguay

Hi,

We are an American couple, close to retirement age, and thinking about retiring in Uruguay.  We are currently living in Texas.  My husband is retired military and we both are still employed.

We are interested in any information you can give us that will help us to relocate. What are the immigration requirements? How to find property? Should we rent or buy property? How is the health care system?  Health care costs? What is the average cost of living?  How is the school system (we still have a school age child)?

We would like to live outside of the large cities, but close enough to take advantage of the shopping and entertainment opportunities.  We would like to live relatively close to the ocean.

Are there any reliable web sites for us to do some research on preparing us to make this move and what to expect once we are there?

We appreciate any information and advise that you can give us.  We would love to be in touch with people there on a constant basis, so we have someone that can answer our questions.

I know this is a bit much we are asking and I am grateful for any answer that I receive.

Thanks again.

hello,

how are you? well, is a pleasure to have this opportunity to write to you.i used to live in virginia but i am from uruguay and i am back home now.i will do a little research and get back to you in one day or two with the information that you request. if you have any concern or more question please feel free to ask. by the way, my name is mario.

get back to you soon, adios.

atte
mario

Thank you so much for answering our post.  We are thankful for any information you can give us. 

We would like to establish an active network with expats in Uruguay and want to learn as much as we can about the country, way of life, expectation and everything else.

Again, thank you and we are awaiting your reply.

You might want to check out the following, there is a lot of the info you are looking for there.sociedadsouthron.net

Janet