Living in Uruguay

You are living in Uruguay, or you used to live in Uruguay.

Share your experience!

How would you describe life in Uruguay?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find an accommodation and a job?

Is it complicated to make friends in Uruguay?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Uruguay?

Thanks in advance for your participation

It really depends on what you're looking for and how willing you are to just jump in and assimilate to the new culture. We talk about our first 4 months in Uruguay here.

The first 4 months blog was wonderful reading. So glad all is going so well.

my hubby and I are thinking of moving to Montevideo with our two children. We are both educators with Masters degrees in our seperate fields. We have been offered excellent jobs. We only speak English. Will this be a safe place to relocate to.  Is this a child-friendly country.  Where will be a good place to live?

i just posted this on the real estate forum too.

my husband and i are in UR now looking for a place to call home. this is our exploratory trip (we've also traveled in AR).  But UR seems just right.

we're in punte del este right now.  this area is too touristy for us but the suburbs surrounding are beautiful. We stayed in Piriapolis and loved the valleys behind it on ruta 37.  optimally we'd like 5 hectares to grow some greens and have some goats and chickens but we're open to other possibilities.  this is a home we toured with the idea of renting it during off season for a remarkably amazingly stunningly good price. $550 for a two story fully furnished house one home up from the beach.  it's modern and fresh, a lovely home.  link to pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36096650@N … 624252525/

antlantida was also very pretty.  we're heading back to Montevideo and on to Colonia, heading home the 14th.

we're from LA and rents/sale prices are sky high there.  my hubs speaks some spanish, i've just started a spanish class at my local jc.

my only big challenge is my 'anipals' i have in LA.  3 house rabbits i have to get down here 'in cabin'.  no cargo holds.

any advice or realtor referrals out there would be greatly appreciated.

Chau.