Salary, insurance, pension and cost of living through numbers

Hi !

making a research in the IT market of Amsterdam I would like to acquire a clear picture of the situation as I still feel confused about the numbers that affect the way of living in Amsterdam...

so, by mentioning an example I would like please to guide me in what is true or not..

let's say I am reading a job offer mentioning about 40,000 euros per year

Concerning a 40% tax I can say that the net amount is roughly
40,000*60% = 24,000 euros per year which as I know it is dived with 13 so 24,000/13 = 1,846 euros per month

What I would like to know is what extra costs should I consider in order to make further subtractions.

Do I need extra money for health insurance and pension ?

What is an average rent for a two persons apartment ?

Hi,

usually the annual salary mentioned does not include the holiday allowance, which is by Dutch Law 8% of your
annual salary, and benefits. Benefits are mentioned separately (bonus, 13-th salary if they exist).

You will have to consider that after receiving your netto salary you will have to pay yourself for health
insurance (at least 90 eu / month). As well you pay pension but that goes from your brutto salary.

Amsterdam is an expensive city for accommodation. You should keep in mind at least 900 eu a month.

To calculate your netto you can use the following link (in Dutch, but that is easy)

http://salaris.nl.msn.com/home/brutonetto

You enter your brutto salary into the left field than you choose your "industry", find IT there.
And press "bereken", this will take into account your pension payments as well. The medical insurance is NOT
included there, you will have to pay it yourself.