Might be moving to Amsterdam.

Hey guys,

I have a final interview with large company in the next few weeks (this will be third and final face to face interview in Amsterdam) and looking for some basic information.

Would a single guy be able to live of 50,000 to 60,000 a year with also the 30% tax rule (the company did say they will help with this), also how is the cost of living (only really been to the touristy areas).

I have been to Amsterdam twice over the last few years on holiday and really enjoyed it and how easy it is to get around on bikes etc, but dont really know what areas I should be looking to rent in, is there anywhere I should be looking at while I am over here and is there anywhere I should avoid?

Also anything other information that you guys think I should know?

Thanks for your time.

Hi Ryan,

My name is Tal, I live in Amsterdam for three months with my girlfriend.
First of all, welcome to Amsterdam.
About areas in Amsterdam, you should look for an apartment inside the ring, the most wanted places to live in Amsterdam are De Pijp and Jordaan, these are a quiet places close to the centrum.
About cost of living, 50-60K will be enough for you to live in here, the expenses per year will be around 30K.
If you want to buy a bicycle, there are a lot of shops who sell bikes.
I suggest you to read about neighborhoods in Amsterdam.
If you would like to get help with finding an apartment , don't hesitate to send me a massage.
Good luck.

Hey Ryan,

Are you coming from outside the EU? From what I remember if a business is interested in sponsoring you and getting you here, it is their obligation to find you housing and pay partially for it as well, at least it was so a few years ago.

Either way, 60k is nearly double "modaal" (Modaal (average I think it is) is 33k) here in the Netherlands, so you should be fine, considering that an appartment can cost you in between 800 to 1500 a month. Or if you want, you can always rent a room, which will be in between 350 to 600 euros.

Good luck with the interview!

Welcome to the Netherlands!

There are several beautiful parts of Amsterdam, but definitely parts I wouldn't move to. Near the Vondel Park there are apartments that are very nice and the area is beautiful. The Amsterdam forest is near Amstelveen, which is also a nice area with nice apartments and is a short bike ride to the center of Amsterdam. There are affordable apartments off Bolestein in that area that are very nice and very affordable (about 1000/month I believe). If that is close to your work, I would check out the area near the Amsterdam forest off Amstelveenseveg. There are tons of really nice apartments all over, though, you should be fine. I would look on jaap.nl or funda.nl for apartments if you want and just look around in the Amsterdam area- those sites always got me an apartment when I was moving here (I have gone in and out of Holland three times now!)

Good luck!!