Is it Necessary to have atleast 2 bedroom apartment/house? Netherlands

I want to ask is it necessary by law or required by municipality to have a 2 bedroom apartment or house if you want to live with a wife and 2 kids? Is it compulsory? Can I live in 1 bedroom apartment with them?
I am asking for Netherlands.

No, not by law, it is noy necessary, you will not suffet from law restrictions.
In some Dutch communities living in a small apartment will be frowned upon. Especially people who have been abroad only as tourists, might not know that in other European countries people more often live small, especially in big cities. Some Dutch people will think it is a matter of poverty to live small. But if I were you, I would not mind the snobs in this world!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I can't think why you shouldn't; I know a few people whose families have grown into that situation.

That said, I can think of serious health and safety implications with so many people in a 1 bedroom apartment, for example, the spreading of Coronavirus has been greater in small, cramped houses and the Netherlands still has a significant problem in controlling the spread of this pandemic.  My advice would be to speak to your Gemeente and read the T&C's of your rental contract to check.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi @cynic... are there any housing size guidelines regarding this? as i could not
find any online... as far as i remember there were similar restrictions in Belgium.
Glad if you could help

PS I am currently planning to buy house and have 2 kids of different gender..
it is rather expensive for me to buy house with 3 bedrooms given current market
situation.

AmitS01 wrote:

Hi @cynic... are there any housing size guidelines regarding this? as i could not
find any online... as far as i remember there were similar restrictions in Belgium.
Glad if you could help

PS I am currently planning to buy house and have 2 kids of different gender..
it is rather expensive for me to buy house with 3 bedrooms given current market
situation.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm not aware of any restrictions related to occupancy limits.  My advice would be to ask at the Gemeente where you intend to live as perhaps local regulations may apply.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team