Health insurance for my girl friend

Hi,
iŽll move to San Francisco in few weeks for a new job and my girl friend will move with me.

Do you know what kind of health insurance can we do for her? Is there a insurance company that will provide coverage for a domestic partner ?

Regards

herrprofessor wrote:

Hi,
iŽll move to San Francisco in few weeks for a new job and my girl friend will move with me.

Do you know what kind of health insurance can we do for her? Is there a insurance company that will provide coverage for a domestic partner ?

Regards

An online search will find you many insurance companies who will provide medical cover. Just be aware that medical insurance cover in USA is very expensive.

what do you mean with expensive? in germany i pay around 1000$ per month..

If you are used to paying that amount you should have no problem finding insurance in the US

Bob K

In San Francisco look into Kaiser. Decent company and coverage for an insurance company. Not sure on rates in California....for example when my father had Cancer my mother paid little to no out of pocket fees.

Pretty sure (but not 100%) that you will have no problem getting insurance for a domestic partner as you will be in California.

Why not just ask the human resources department of your new job?

You should get her some kind of coverage ASAP, for if she must file a USA tax return she will pay extra taxes in 2014 for every month in which she does not have coverage.  If her total income is less than $10,000, unless she is self employed, she should not have to file and therefore there is no additional "taxes".