Skype/Viber banned in Kuwait?

Hello All,

I am moving to Kuwait in September, and have recently read that Voice over Internet Protocol i.e. Skype and Viber is banned in Kuwait - is this true, and if so, is it still possible to access the sites if they were already on your phone/computer when you enter the country? I have also read that internet connection, telecommunication television services (the selection) are poor in Kuwait, is this a fair assumption? I would appreciate any response regarding these issues. Many thanks

It might be banned to download them here but if they're already on your device you won't have a probably using them. I use them both all the time :)

The internet connection isn't terrible but in the evenings it slows down significantly. As for TV they replay the same movies over and over so you might want to consider getting a VPN to stream shows and movies. Hope this helps!

who starts these vicious rumors :S

firstly; nobody watches Kuwait Television - everyone has satellite, or online streaming. The internet aint bad here, honestly, it has a bad rep with people for some reason.

Yes, Skype the website is blocked, but if ur smart u just search for a mirror site to download the program. since everyone uses smart phones now anyway, its easy to get onto your phone (same principle).

rest assured, no services are blocked here, like in saudi and UAE - where the service is blocked. here it is only the website, for skype, no more, and no less.

Skype WAS banned in Kuwait before, but ever since it was acquired by Microsoft you don't even have to downloaded it apparently comes with Windows these days. So YES you can download them and YES you can use them on any ISP ... even through your Telecom carrier.

DSL internet is decent. I have 6 MB and I'm happy with it. I don't watch TV that much cause if I'm bored that's the last thing I wanna do ... get even more bored. So, with youtube I watch almost anything I want and piracy is no secret here. I get copies of movies all the time (I don't download or distribute them ;) I'm just given those copies)

With the right group of friends ... you will have a good time here ... enjoy :)

I just d/l Skype a couple of days ago from the web and I have Quality Net, no ban that I know of.

We should be very careful to give balanced replies, not broad statements. These issues are very important to some people.

As an example the Overplay VPN network has very recently been blacklisted by Zain.

There are efforts to impose stringent control of access, they are just not very successful at the moment. But that COULD change.

Thank you all so much for your responses, this is very helpful :)

I am using a 4g internet connection from "VIVA", when I try to access the skype website, it says blocked because of kuwait laws.....There's no problem if it's already available on your PC or phone.

Here's the way to access the blocked websites using PROXY server. I do it all the times.

Open: aunblock.com/

Type in your URL and do you things.

Cheers