Moving to Singapore. Cost of living? Job hunting?

Hey guys I'm new here :)
I'm from the Philippines.

So me and my boyfriend are planning to move to Singapore this June.
We want to work there. But we don't really know how this works.
Is it better to go through an agency? Coz our plan is to just go there and find a job when we're there.
We don't want to have to go through an agency coz I know they ask for placement fees and stuff or I don't know..
Anyways. Do you think we'll have a chance in finding a job in a period of 1-30 days?

And how much do you think our daily budget will be? I heard cost of living there is very expensive.
Especially rent.. How much is an apartment there? Or maybe just a room will be good enough.

Hi keyaleka,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Concerning the cost of living in Singapore, i think that it would be great if you can have a look to the various topics on the Cost of living in Singapore section.

Concerning jobs and work, i invite you to have a look to the articles on the work in singapore section.

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Okay. Thank you! :)

Employment agencies in Singapore are not allowed (by law) to charge the job-seeker any fees. If they try to do so, they are not trustworthy and you should stay away from them!
Finding a job in Singapore is not too easy and may take time - but the details of course depend on your education, experience, skills and the Singapore job market in your field. In general, being in the country gives you a big advantage, as people abroad are usually not invited for interviews.
Singapore is one of the most expensive places on earth. Rent of a (simple) apartment starts at S$2000/month, a sublet room can be S$800-1000/month. You also need at least S$600/month per person for food, transport and daily expenses.
Please note that as a visitor (i.e. until you find a job and get a work visa) you can only stay in hotels and serviced apartments, which start at S$80/night - or with friends for free (if you have any).
Good luck!

Cost of living is high in singapore. In fact, recently singapore make it to the first most expensive city to live in. On the other hand, salary is attractive too! The culture here is very diversified and there are many pinos now, so adapting to the culture and environment is not an issue. As for accommodation, I have some contacts and get easily help you secure an affordable and comfortable accommodation. PM me if you're interested. Cheers!

if you eat at food courts you can reduce your food expenses to $300-400 a month

Thanks for the replies :) very helpful thank you :)

The place to stay got private properties (more expensive but with facilities) and HDB (cheaper room rental). There are a few websites you can go to check it out. www.propertyguru.com.sg is one of them

ggdotcomle: read my instruction in networking thread. Don't open these inactive threads, which has absolutely no meaning.

I believe that Singapore is among the most expensive in Asia that's why I need to prepare my bank account once I decided to go there. I'm planning to start a small business and invest in some stocks.

bamneon wrote:

I believe that Singapore is among the most expensive in Asia that's why I need to prepare my bank account once I decided to go there. I'm planning to start a small business and invest in some stocks.

If you want to move to Singapore to run your own business, you need to apply for an EntrePass, the visa for self-employed. It is not easy to get - you should read about the requirements!

Hi....
Good luck to find job in Singapore. I heard from my Singaporian friend that now difficult to find job and many Singaporian job less. My bf trying to get new job for 6 months but no result yet.
I was deported from Singapore for no reason during my last visit there.
I hope this bad luck won't happen to u.

via2017 wrote:

I was deported from Singapore for no reason during my last visit there.

Nobody gets deported for no reason, at least not from Singapore.