Driving license in Oman with general category VISA.

Myself an Engineer got a job in Oman as Sr. Sales Engineer. But my employer has got VISA category as general instead of Engineer due to some changes in policy. Can i get driving license in Oman with general category?

Employers do this often, to hire employees, but do not hold the required job clearance.

So in your official papers your designation would be different to what you would be holding. In a sense doing this is illegal and that's one of the main reasons why the Ministry of Manpower (MoM) conducts frequent checks - in offices. They would randomly walk in and ask for the employee to produce his / her resident card and match it against  what you are doing.

That's why when companies get wind of such imminent MoM raids, they would ask the employees whose resident cards are an obvious mismatch to abstain from attending office on that day.

Lesser hassles of this practice is qualifying to get the book for beginning the driving licence practices; crossing the borders to the UAE, and others.

Clarify with your employer on all of these points and state your requirements clearly upfront. Because once the resident card is issued you cannot do anything about it (or change it) for 2 years during the validity of your employment visa.