Irish National wanting to get her name changed

Hi All

I hope you can help me.

I got legally married at an Amphur and received my certificate and Tibian 6 months ago and I'm now getting around to changing my surname.

I contacted the Irish Consulate in Phuket and they have turned around and told me that I have to be married to my husband for 2 years and I have to show proof of using his name on either utility bills, driving licence etc. Now how can I show this when I have to use my passport and work permit to open or get anything legal!!!!

I'm totally confused.

Has anyone from Ireland gotten their name changed in Thailand?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you register the marriage in Ireland?
You can go to the embassy and register your marriage.

Hi

I was told that I didn't have a to register my marriage with them as once I'm legally married in Thailand I'm also legally married in Ireland. Also checked with the department of foreign affairs and they said the same thing

It would be legal, with your paper work from Thailand.  But, I would think that would have to be submitted to Ireland somehow. I did this in Canada and registering is required to immigrate and change name etc. This process can be frustrating because there is really no process to follow.  Also, government workers can sometimes give out incorrect information.