Divorce while absent

Hello, my wife and I want a divorce. I have not seen her since August 2018, and she tells me a lawyer can do this, it will cost 20,000 THB. So far so good. I'm happy to pay that.

BUT - I'm not allowed to contact this lawyer. Seems very fishy to me.

What is the situation regarding extended separation? If I come to Thailand I have to get my passport translated, authorised and notarised, then submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who will take up to 2 weeks to process it.

I can't afford to do that, I live in Vietnam. Please advise me of a trustworthy English-speaking lawyer in Thailand whom I can contact.

Thanks!

Vaughan

Hello, my wife and I want a divorce. I have not seen her since August 2018, and she tells me a lawyer can do this, it will cost 20,000 THB. So far so good. I'm happy to pay that.
BUT - I'm not allowed to contact this lawyer. Seems very fishy to me.

What is the situation regarding extended separation? If I come to Thailand I have to get my passport translated, authorised and notarised, then submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who will take up to 2 weeks to process it.

I can't afford to do that, I live in Vietnam. Please advise me of a trustworthy English-speaking lawyer in Thailand whom I can contact.

Thanks!

Vaughan
-@Vaughan12

It will just take a couple of days the most to have your passport translated, authorized and notarized incl the procedure at the MFA in BKK.

5 years "desertion" is usually enough to anul a marriage?

Contact Issan International Lawyers Thailand for expert advice.

https://isaanlawyers.com/

@Leeds forever! I was told they can take up to 10 working days? I sincerely hope you're right.

Thanks

Vaughan

@TwistedKiwi63 thanks! Will contact them tomorrow.

Vaughan

@Leeds forever! I was told they can take up to 10 working days? I sincerely hope you're right.
Thanks
Vaughan
-@Vaughan12

This is a common procedure. The part at the MFA can be done the same day. I think it will cost ฿800 compared to ฿400 when coming back next day. Just go there before noon.

@Leeds forever!

Marvellous, thanks pal.

@Leeds forever!

Marvellous, thanks pal.
-@Vaughan12

I read somewhere that at the complex in Chaeng Wattana where the MFA's legalization division is located, they even do translations and stuff.

I found this:

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/publicservice/ … 30600068d3

-@TwistedKiwi63

Divorce finally went through after 2 nightmare days, in which I racked up a fortune in taxi fares, stamping and translation fees etc.

Stress factors:

Isaan International Lawyers initially advised me to go to the MFA. Upon arrival, and a B500 taxi I was told it's now done by the Department of Consular Affairs, another B500 taxi.

Upon arrival I was told it was 'appointments only' so I went through the lengthy registration procedure to learn the next free one was on Tuesday, 3 days after I flew home.

I remonstrated with the woman and she agreed to get it done but first I had to print out a flight ticket to prove I wasn't lying. This meant a 10-minute walk to a different building (nearby shopping mall).

Got back, handed it all in and was then told the passport validation document provided by the UK Embassy hadn't been translated. I found a translator and paid B400 fee.

Took it back again. She then said that I'd have to come back at 2:30 to pick up the stamped document. This was after the 1:30 divorce appointment time.

Ended up yelling at her. Fortunately, the competent and charming lawyer lady arrived, and saved the day, but only by being told the only way this could happen on Friday was if I paid a B5,000 bribe to the seedy-looking manager bloke (the lawyer said this was because I was a westerner and by implication, rich.)

I coughed up the cash, my wife arrived and we went to the Amphur. No further fees apart from the taxi back home.

(I realise that bribery is the way the world goes around, and am not particularly complaining about having to pay that - I was, after all, asking for something extra-curricular.)

[link under review]
-@TwistedKiwi63

Divorce finally went through after 2 nightmare days, in which I racked up a fortune in taxi fares, stamping and translation fees etc.

Stress factors:

Isaan International Lawyers initially advised me to go to the MFA. Upon arrival, and a B500 taxi I was told it's now done by the Department of Consular Affairs, another B500 taxi.

Upon arrival I was told it was 'appointments only' so I went through the lengthy registration procedure to learn the next free one was on Tuesday, 3 days after I flew home.

I remonstrated with the woman and she agreed to get it done but first I had to print out a flight ticket to prove I wasn't lying. This meant a 10-minute walk to a different building (nearby shopping mall).

Got back, handed it all in and was then told the passport validation document provided by the UK Embassy hadn't been translated. I found a translator and paid B400 fee.

Took it back again. She then said that I'd have to come back at 2:30 to pick up the stamped document. This was after the 1:30 divorce appointment time.

Ended up yelling at her. Fortunately, the competent and charming lawyer lady arrived, and saved the day, but only by being told the only way this could happen on Friday was if I paid a B5,000 bribe to the seedy-looking manager bloke (the lawyer said this was because I was a westerner and by implication, rich.)

I coughed up the cash, my wife arrived and we went to the Amphur. No further fees apart from the taxi back home.

(I realise that bribery is the way the world goes around, and am not particularly complaining about having to pay that - I was, after all, asking for something extra-curricular.)
-@Vaughan12

I sent you the link to the Department of Consular Affairs with address and everything August 4. I guess you didn't check it out. It would have at least saved you ฿500. And about the ฿5.000 you paid, it could have been avoided if you didn't had to do everything the same day as the divorce appointment, and doing it on a Friday isn't recommended anywhere in the world. A little bit of planning would have saved you a lot of money.

@Leeds forever!

Planning isn't my forte I'm afraid. I can do it in my job, but tend to go headfirst into personal situations (like marrying somebody totally unsuitable).

Anyway, overall I ended up paying a quarter of what I'd have had to pay for a Bangkok lawyer.

Just have to realise everything to do with government and paperwork takes time in Thai. If you rush you pay