Uk to Thailand on a one way ticket.

HELP!

Hi all

im entering BkK on one-way tic from the UK on a full UK passport and i am British.

I'm going to be moving around SE asia and not sure when exactly im retuning home, hence the 1-way tic.

Could anybody advised me on what back up documentation i would need to get past uk check of Singapore airlines.

I already have an onwards ticket to vietnam 14 days after entering Thailand.

Im flying pretty soon so a multiple entry evisa may not come back in time (im not a penny pincher). Also the thai visa website is old tacky and requires scanning documents etc.

So, yeah can anyone put my mind at ease.

Thanks for the time guys.

Thanks

craig

I don't think you can enter the kingdom on a one way ticket on a tourist visa.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this answered before on another thread, and the view was that if you have an onward ticket leaving Thailand no more than 30 (currently 45) days after you enter, then you can get a visa exemption (the website for the Thai embassy in London refers to a round-trip ticket but I don't think that necessarily means it has to be a return ticket). They just stamp your passport at Suvarnabhumi and you have to leave the country by the date shown on the visa stamp.

Your onward ticket to Vietnam should be sufficient as you will be leaving Thailand after 14 days only.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this answered before on another thread, and the view was that if you have an onward ticket leaving Thailand no more than 30 (currently 45) days after you enter, then you can get a visa exemption (the website for the Thai embassy in London refers to a round-trip ticket but I don't think that necessarily means it has to be a return ticket). They just stamp your passport at Suvarnabhumi and you have to leave the country by the date shown on the visa stamp.
-@Retiree

Thanks for your time

I don't think you can enter the kingdom on a one way ticket on a tourist visa.
-@Issanguy

You can't normally apply for a 60 days tourist visa without having a paid return ticket. In several countries a forwarding ticket is accepted.

Last time I travelled to Thailand I had an onward ticket to Cambodia valid 30 days after arriving in Thai. No problems with airline or immigration. But you may be asked to prove you have the ticket - I was not asked! - just wrote the flight details on the entry form given on the Thai flight.

I fly in to LOS one way all the time.  I buy a refundable air Asia ticket to Cambodia or Vietnam , satisfies the airline when checking in for flt to bkk.  Never had to show it to immigration.

The visa waiver for Americans is now 45 days, am guessing the same for brits and aussies.

The visa waiver for Americans is now 45 days, am guessing the same for brits and aussies.
-@Friendly G34

It's a visa exempt. The 45 days visa exempt is the old 30 days visa exempt for ~64 countries. It was supposed to end at the end of February, but immigration might extend it until further notice.

@Bkkbjj I came many times on a one way ticket, having a one year Retirement stay permit. And you can explain the airline check-in staff that you will leave by land to next country like Cambodia, Laos and then Vietnam where you will buy your return flight when your vacation is over.

Never been asked at arrival by Thai immigration police of a return ticket even when used to come on tourist visa. They know that your visa is limited time and either you extend it or you have to leave to avoid troubles of arrest and banned for a year or more.

Just do not forget to leave on time or go immigration to extend the visa and everything will be fine.

@Bkkbjj I came many times on a one way ticket, having a one year Retirement stay permit. And you can explain the airline check-in staff that you will leave by land to next country like Cambodia, Laos and then Vietnam where you will buy your return flight when your vacation is over.
Never been asked at arrival by Thai immigration police of a return ticket even when used to come on tourist visa. They know that your visa is limited time and either you extend it or you have to leave to avoid troubles of arrest and banned for a year or more.
Just do not forget to leave on time or go immigration to extend the visa and everything will be fine.
-@Maxi Mari

You need to understand official requirements. Officially, a one way ticket is not allowed when arriving on a visa exempt,unless you have a forwarding ticket. In 2019, pre-pandemic, immigration at Suvarnabhumi rejected a lot of people for different reasons, including arriving on a one way ticket. Everything is up to the immigration officer.When arriving on a re-entry permit,based on a one year extension,a one way ticket is officially accepted.Try to understand the word officially.

@Bkkbjj

craig, can you tell me how things worked out with your entry into Thailand? I'm arriving in 3 weeks and have your answer but i see from your post date you're already there and traveling.

Doug

Late to the party here but what I often do is buy a fully refundable ticket out of the country whenever I'm arriving on a one-way ticket.

I advise everyone to have a one way ticket in and a budget airline ticket to anywhere cheap and close by or similar as rbakker did, excellent solution. No pain

A one-way fully refundable ticket out of the country isn't cheap but in the end it costs you nothing if it's truly fully refundable. A ticket on a budget airline would often cost more because they're not usually fully refundable. I use the big expensive airlines for this and it costs me nothing (as long as I remember to cancel!)

@rbakker

You are correct, that would be the best way to go. But since C19 I have heard stories about refunds.....

Fully refundable means fully refundable. Just get a reputable airline.