Purchasing Property

Hello.

Where would be a good place to look in order to buy property in Gambia? I would like to browse listings where locals might look/list their properties and not 'tourist' priced properties.

Thanks,
Bod.

Where to look for a property in The Gambia depends on many things but first off, expect to be seriously ripped off if you use an agent. After that the ways of finding a property are many and various. There are several large (in Gambian terms) Supermarkets around the Kombos and they all have a noticeboard. You will find properties advertised on them. The ex-pat bars also have noticeboards but even more important they have ex-pats, all of who know everything about every other ex-pat including who is selling a house.

There are also a couple of guys around who will meet you, check out your requirements and go looking. They are much more cost-effective than agents but avoid paying them a penny before they find you a house. Always arrange your own taxi and pick them up and do not pay for viewing trips. If you do you will spend many hours looking at houses and have great difficulty persuading them to show you houses to your specifications.

Broadly you have three choices:

Buy a house on an estate like the one built by TAF on the Gunjur Road, pay crazy prices and soend your life fighting TAF for the services they should but rarely do provide.

Search the local market, there are compounds to be bought but finding them is a complex and time-consuming business.

But a huse in an ex-pat compound. There are loads for sale and every one for a good reason. They are generally overpriced because the owner paid the developer too much. The security is always a problem and a group of expats nicely packaged in an exclusive compound is a magnet for thieves.

We spent six months looking and decided there are easier places to live. Bulgaria has less expensive housing, no malaria, a lower cost of living and Bulagrians are generally honest. Granted, the weather is not so good but the beer is cheaper an dbetter quality.

Hello and thanks for your reply.

It sounds to me that browsing the local ads in the supermarkets and bars and chatting with the local expats is the best bet. Are there any local newspapers or magazines (websites?) that are worth looking at? You mention compounds for sale, do you mean entire compounds? Are they not very expensive?

I'm not sure about Bulgaria as the weather is not great in the winter and it is the sun (and the prices) that attracts me to Gambia as much as anything else.

Cheers,
Bod.

What is your budget, and what sort of property are you looking for? we have friends in the Gambia and can listen out for you.

Hi.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been very busy as of late.

Well, right now I would be looking for an apartment in Bakau for around £10,000 to £15,000. Just somewhere to stay when I am over there.

I too am looking for a property to buy, but I am in Australia so it is really hard. It has been difficult communicating with friends there due to Skype being out. Boddy, would you be interested in sharing something if we can get it? Of ourse we would have to check we are compatible etc, but if that was all good what do you think? I prefer to be in Bakau. But looking at other paces too. There is one two bedroom place for sale just near the cemetery, it's more than what you have suggested, but if I can get someone to go to the owner directly it could be a lot less. If you look at the websites dedicated to property for sale it is hysterical. If not privately listed, the prices can vary by tens of thousands for the same place, What a give away!

What are you looking for? "Local" property is mostly 'line houses' which are a line of bedrooms. Cooking and toilet facilities are outside. Most Gambians acquire land and build their own houses. If you want indoor plumbing, a kitchen and electricity then my house is for sale! It's listed on this site, or I have a blog at https://liveingambia/wordpress.com