Rents in Cuenca

Just read on Gringo Tree that the rule of thumb for rents in the US is 1% of the property value per month. (ie a$150000 home would rent for $1,500 per month). I don't know where that comes from! It certainly isn't St. Louis. In my building, properties worth $250,000 are renting for $1,500 per month.  It's supply and demand. Real estate agents try to get what the market will bear.  If Gringos will pay it, that's what it will be!

CB48 wrote:

Just read on Gringo Tree that the rule of thumb for rents in the US is 1% of the property value per month. (ie a$150000 home would rent for $1,500 per month). I don't know where that comes from! It certainly isn't St. Louis. In my building, properties worth $250,000 are renting for $1,500 per month.  It's supply and demand. Real estate agents try to get what the market will bear.  If Gringos will pay it, that's what it will be!

I'm with you CB. Just using numbers from Zillow, our house value is $247K, with a suggested rent of $1,500. I believe Zillow numbers. Just being a realist, I sure as heck wouldn't rent my place for $2,470.00 per month, why would anybody else :-)