Long-term move question

This will be my 3rd time in Ecuador, specifically Cuenca, and would like to move their long-term. This time I was wanting to move closer to the Cajas. I would really enjoy doing some daily hikes on the trails there without having to commute by taxi or bus to the nearest trailheads. Is this possible? What areas would be the best to look at for rentals?

Living near The Cajas -- some considerations.

The Cajas National Park is about 30 kilometers

or 18 miles from Cuenca.

Taxi or bus are the easiest and fastest ways to

get to the Cajas from Cuenca.

According to the Rome2Rio website, there are

direct buses from Cuenca to the Cajas.  They

take about 38 minutes and the one-way fare

is about two dollars.

@davlovsky

Where do you plan on buying vittles?

@cccmedia You say it's about 30km from Cuenca, but when I look at it on the map, it's about 16km from El Centro to the Surocucho trailhead/access point, which is marked as "Cajas Administration Office" on Google Maps. Either way it's a bit too far, even if I got a place in Buenos Aires neighborhood.

Are there areas that are close to hiking trails (not necessarily Cajas)? When I was there last, I enjoyed daily walks/runs along the river from El Centro to Paraiso, but I prefer not to run alongside traffic. Ideal would be at least 20-30km of trail and variable terrain (hills, flats, etc.). Looking at the wester edge of San Joaquin/gringolandia looks promising, but didn't really explore that area when I was there last, so am not sure about the outdoor/hiking trail situation.