Pollution?

Considering the prevailing winds in Cuenca, what part of the city would be upwind from el Centro, considering air pollution?

Eric

Hello,

In fact you don't feel the pollution in many areas of the city.
The worst parts are the ones close to bus lines and truck traffic. That means El Centro, Av. de las Americas, Zona Industrial, Av. España, Huaina Capac and lately Ordonez Lasso st. 

Vinny

If you are concerned about minutiae like this you absolutely shouldn't seriously consider moving to Ecuador. If it's not this it'll be something else, and there are SO many something else's----.

Having lived in a third world country before , Korea, I found that all the " others" were what gave the country a lot of its charm. I'm looking forward to Ecuador in much the same way . I don't expect things to be the same as the USA nor do I want them to be. After all why go thru such an exercise just to go to a place identical to where I already live.

Legitimate question. We were in El Centro last year, and the pollution affected my wife. She has very sensitive eyes. I assume there is a reason you are concerned about it also, and you probably don't consider it minutiae if it's a health concern.

The good news is: The buses are going to be switching over from diesel to propane in the near future, and, with the new light rail, that runs on electricity, the polution will be greatly reduced. The rail system will also reduce the number of buses in the El Centro region. But, until those 2 fixes are in effect, you just might be best off outside of the El Centro area. Remember, the word Cuenca means bowl, and that's pretty much what it is, which has a tendency to hold the pollution in.
Good Luck!

PS. I personally didn't notice it at all, but I guess I'm not real suseptable to it.

Thank you Ed. I am simply trying to make the best choices, given the reality.
Regards
Eric

Eric, I hope you understand that I'm not trying to be a smart ass. It has been my observation over several years living abroad that those who accept and embrace the multitude of challenges involved with starting their new life have a much better shot at success. Folks who get hung up on the details often continue finding all the things that are "wrong" and just never seem to be happy. Wherever you end up, come with an open mind and sense of adventure. I wish you every success!

Everyone has certain criteria that they apply when selecting what neighborhood and structure they want to live in. And I am sure Edd applied plenty of criter when selecting his current apartment. I don't think it is necessary to turn the question into an issue of cultural acceptance.

Nards, I think Edd had a tough morning and I agree we all set preferences. Ours was apartment above the third floor on "quiet" side of building with a balcony and view of the city.

fdmcg wrote:

Nards, I think Edd had a tough morning and I agree we all set preferences. Ours was apartment above the third floor on "quiet" side of building with a balcony and view of the city.

I haven't been to Cuenca but in Quito I don't notice the pollution at all unless you happen to be passed by a nasty bus or truck as your walking or driving.  There isn't what I would consider lingering pollution as you would see a yellowish haze above a big metro area.  This is Quito I speak of and not Cuenca as I haven't been there.  Maybe its the winds clearing everything out, maybe its the elevation, no idea but its not too bad.

Alberta, I agree that Quito air pollution is typically in the downtown area and due to bus traffic. Thanks to the wind pattern it does not linger. Many individuals blame eye irritation on air pollution when I believe it is primarily due to low humidity level.
You should make of a point of visiting Cuenca. Slower pace with nice artisan shops and more laid-back than Quito. Obviously it does not have Quito's sophistication (comment intended to solicit reaction from Cuenca expat community and confirm if Edd's mood improved).

Surprise!! I totally agree with you. We're going to Quito in the AM to speak at the IL conference this weekend and are very much looking forward, among other amenities, to enjoying cuisine not available here. If we ever tired of living in Cuenca and wanted to remain in Ecuador, Quito would be the only choice for us.