Gringos - Renta y La Vida

Hola to all you Expats,

I have lived outside the USA for 20+ years and find my fellow Americans as interesting lot. The following joke contains more truth than humor. If you speak 3 languages you are tri-lingual, if you speak 2 languages you are bi-lingual and should you speak 1 you are likely an American. I lived and worked in México for 12 years and found most Americans living up to the joke. Gringos by the way are the only ones who call themselves gringos. The Mexicanos referred to us Gabachos and most Gabachos flocked to Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Puebla, San Miguel de Allande and other 'hot spots'. Occasionally when I was in or around a 'hot spot' of tourism a local would attempt to fleece me but I would turn-on my best street español and basically tell him to get lost. When in a foreign land all expats must remember that they are guests and self appointed ambassadors and must be on our best behavior at all times. Not knowing the language leaves you indefensible ... unable to understand or be understood. It is up to you to learn Español not up to the locals to learn English. Due to my language skills I hope to rent a $400 apartment for $200-$250 ... the normal rate.

Only time will tell for sure but I think I am correct.

Regards,

Tom aka Chema

Keltic Tom wrote:

...I lived and worked in México for 12 years and found most Americans living up to the joke. Gringos by the way are the only ones who call themselves gringos. The Mexicanos referred to us Gabachos and most Gabachos flocked to Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Puebla, San Miguel de Allande and other 'hot spots'.

Tom, I agree that "gringo" is a pejorative in Mexico. However, here in Ecuador it is simply a statement of fact.

The reason "...gringos are the only ones to call themselves gringos..." may be because we are gringos talking about ourselves. It really wouldn't make much sense for Ecuadorians to call themselves gringos, since they aren't. However, people from Germany are gringos, people from France are gringos, people from Canada are gringos. People not obviously Latin are... yep, you guessed it gringos.

You too could start concept modification by not making statements about Americans, unless you are speaking about the entire Western hemisphere of Earth. Yes, I got it... you meant people from the United States, but my best friend here was born and raised in Quito, and he is very much an American, albeit a South American.

Sorry to hear about all your fleecing experiences (I guess Mexico is Mexico), but in my 15 months here, I have never been taken advantage of at any tienda, mercado, local business, etc. Sure I get the opportunity to buy RayBan sunglasses on the street for $3, but... never mind.

Hope you find the place live and while $200-$250 may be a bit low, it can be done. Also your comments regarding learning the language and ambassadorship are spot on.

¡Tenga buen dia!

HTH

Keltic Tom wrote:

I lived and worked in México for 12 years....Gringos by the way are the only ones who call themselves gringos. The Mexicanos referred to us Gabachos...

"Gabacho" is "a pejorative term for an English-speaking non-Hispanic."

(Source:  urbandictionary.com)

Gabacho = feather-legged

(Source: wordreference.com, Spanish-to-English definitions)

Ok GRINGOS, time to move out from Ecuador. Sorry guys but if mixing increases, no more hot bodies and you know what i mean. Plus, economy its not good either in here or ancient China. So pack up your stuff and seek somewhere else. Thanks to you people, cost of living is sktrocketing in here. Do yourselves a favor and leave. If you think that Ecuadorians have a nice stereotype of north foreigners, well they might be but not fully. Girls from Latin America are massively well observed, Hollywood makes gringos look hotter as a marketing and world domination stuff.... But believe me, people has just stopped thinking natively, Now is a different situation. Eventough northern countries can destroy any nation at any time, youve got nothing of what the rest of the world have, especially South America. Hope you leave soon and cheers!

martin lutero wrote:

Ok GRINGOS, time to move out from Ecuador. Sorry guys but if mixing increases, no more hot bodies and you know what i mean. Plus, economy its not good either in here or ancient China. So pack up your stuff and seek somewhere else. Thanks to you people, cost of living is sktrocketing in here. Do yourselves a favor and leave. If you think that Ecuadorians have a nice stereotype of north foreigners, well they might be but not fully. Girls from Latin America are massively well observed, Hollywood makes gringos look hotter as a marketing and world domination stuff.... But believe me, people has just stopped thinking natively, Now is a different situation. Eventough northern countries can destroy any nation at any time, youve got nothing of what the rest of the world have, especially South America. Hope you leave soon and cheers!

I've got a better idea Martin... how about you pack up and leave and I'll stay here. Instead of wallowing in a pool of self-pity, own up to the fact expats in this country and their impact doesn't make a pimple on a gnat's ass. Using a massively inflated number of 25,000 expats in Ecuador vs. a population of 15,740,000 represents just over 0.1%. The biggest number I could find (less than a year old) is an expat population of 7,000 to 15,000, so we are actually less than 0.1% of the population. But even using 25,000 as the expat population, we are less than 15 hundredths of a percent of the total population... 0.0015, fifteen per 10,000. Yet we are the cause of "skyrocketing" cost of living.

Do you really believe that some expat paying $1.50 for a $1.00 worth of bananas is destroying the economy? How about massive unfunded government spending? Could that also be a contributing factor. How about continued borrowing from outside the internal economy... could that also be a contributing factor, both now and more importantly, tomorrow.

While I appreciate your vote of confidence regarding the impact expats have on the country, I'm also subject to reality. The majority of expats here are retired. We do not take jobs away from others. The same cannot be said for the Ecuadorians that have migrated North.

And what is it exactly the rest of the world has, especially South America, that the EEUU doesn't? I mean everybody has governments, traffic lights, trains, planes, automobiles, people just trying to be free... what exactly does the rest of the world have? Actually the question is rhetorical, as it really isn't germane to the proposition that we should "just pack up our stuff" and leave. So anyway, thanks for the chuckle on this wonderful Thursday. Yo vivo aquí. Tenga un buen día.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Martin.

martin lutero wrote:

Sorry guys but if mixing increases, no more hot bodies and you know what i mean.

No, Lutero, we DON'T know what you mean.

In fact, its unclear whether your first (and, so far, only) post -- from Cali, Colombia, no less -- was an attempt at discussion or merely to "flame" Expat.com Ecuador or its readers.

But, being of holiday cheer, we give you the benefit of the doubt and address your commentary as serious.

Lutero wrote:

"Girls from Latin America are massively observed.  Hollywood makes gringos look hotter as a marketing and world domination stuff."

This assertion is not credibly supported and the second sentence is merely tortured English whose meaning is absolutely unclear.

Lutero wrote:
"You've got nothing of what the rest of the world would have."

Says who...
And what would the rest of the world have...

martin lutero wrote:

Ok GRINGOS, time to move out from Ecuador....

Pack up your stuff and seek somewhere else....

Thanks to you people, cost of living is skyrocketing in here. Do yourselves a favor and leave....

Hope you leave soon....

Nobody likes being told where to live or not live, Lutero.   Especially being told four times in one post by a guy in Cali, Colombia*.

If you come back to post here, keep that in mind.

Or was this a one-time-only flame job against the Expats of Ecuador...

cccmedia in Quito

*FYI, his profile states that he lives in Cali, Colombia... is "not an expat yet"...and wants to move to Ecuador.

cccmedia wrote:

Nobody likes being told where to live or not live,.

The only entity that can tell us where we can live in Ecuador is the Govt of Ecuador.  And the GOE has shown no inclination to do so.

Maybe we should all move to Cali...

rsymington wrote:

I've got a better idea Martin... how about you pack up and leave and I'll stay here. Instead of wallowing in a pool of self-pity, own up to the fact expats in this country and their impact doesn't make a pimple on a gnat's ass. Using a massively inflated number of 25,000 expats in Ecuador vs. a population of 15,740,000 represents just over 0.1%. The biggest number I could find (less than a year old) is an expat population of 7,000 to 15,000, so we are actually less than 0.1% of the population. But even using 25,000 as the expat population, we are less than 15 hundredths of a percent of the total population... 0.0015, fifteen per 10,000. Yet we are the cause of "skyrocketing" cost of living.

Do you really believe that some expat paying $1.50 for a $1.00 worth of bananas is destroying the economy? How about massive unfunded government spending? Could that also be a contributing factor. How about continued borrowing from outside the internal economy... could that also be a contributing factor, both now and more importantly, tomorrow.

Earlier this year I read that 7 times as many Ecuadorians are returning to their homeland as  Gringos from all over the world, thus having a much bigger influence on prices and availability than Social Security funded Gringos.