First Visit to Cuenca in May

My wife and I are considering retiring in Cuenca in 2017 and we will make our first exploratory trip in May. We would appreciate any tips on the best places to meet expats for meaningful conversation and also a recommendation of a realtor who can help acquaint us with short- and long-term rentals.  We're in our early and mid-60s and looking forward to a new adventure, different culture, slower lifestyle...
Tucson, Arizona

You can find listings of Gringo-friendly events and meetups at www.cuencahighlife.com .. www.gringopost.com .. and the Gringo Tree website.

cccmedia

BGCG wrote:

We're in our early and mid-60s and looking forward to a new adventure, different culture, slower lifestyle...

Many expats don't think Cuenca offers a slower lifestyle due to the traffic and for that reason they move to Vilcabamba, Bahia de Caraquez or other places.

You don't specify how long your trip will be and what you mean by "slower lifestyle".  Everybody has a different definition and I have been to all the places that the esteemed Nards mentioned and many more.  I love every inch of this country but I still choose to make Cuenca my home.  Nards Barley is a highly respected poster on here and a great influence in my choice of retirement locations.

I am a single, retired woman from Chicago. I've lived in Cuenca for six years. Before that, I lived in Mexico for twenty-three years. You can write me at ** if you would like to chat about expat life in Cuenca.
Regina

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : For your security, please send your contact details through your private message system.

Regina,
would love to chat about Cuenca. I am coming for first visit in June and have heard both pros and cons.  Two things stand out, the volcano and Spiders. Do you have anything to say about either one?

Spiders? Not in Cuenca. I rarely see even a housefly at this altitude. As for volcanoes, none are anywhere near our city.
Do you want to write me **
Regina

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : For your security, please send your contact details through your private message system.

San Sebas Cafe is a great place to meet.  There are many expats here, and the restaurant is owned and operated by expats from Oregon.

Excellent.  Thanks for responding.  I hope we bump in to you there.
Bob Grady

I'm moving to Cuenca in May, probably toward the end of the month.  I have made 7 visits to Ecuador in the last 3 years, and cannot wait to retire in Cuenca!!
Hope to see you guys....by the way, I lived in Tucson and attended U of A.

We'll miss you this trip but hope to return in Nov.  We love Tucson - just looking for adventure and major change of pace and setting. Best of luck on the move.

lampshade65 wrote:

Spiders? Not in Cuenca. I rarely see even a housefly at this altitude. As for volcanoes, none are anywhere near our city.
Do you want to write me **
Regina

This is not correct. There are spiders in Cuenca. Some small and some as large as 2 inches from back to front legs. The larger spiders come out after there has been lots of rain. If you live in a highrise you would probably never see the big ones but you will see the little ones from time-to-time but not very many. And houseflies are very common. It depends on where you live as to how many you will see. Also mosquitoes can be prevalent also depending on where you live.

We may be able to help you with short term accommodations if you are interested. You can message me directly by clicking on the "letter" icon near the top of this webpage.

It's hard to find new adventures if your simply going to hang around Ametican's in a new country!
It's great to get other people's thoughts to help form your on opinions.
Meet the Ecuadorian  people, learn their culture.

I may not be the one you were looking for, but we are in  a similiar situation. my husband and I are going to be moving to Ecuador in 6-12 months. he wants to visit first and I just want to go straight there. perhaps we can learn from you.  we are the same age as both of you, but coming from cold North Dakota! Best wishes in your search for information.

Barbara and Dan Rohrich

My friends and I could not entertain the thought of living anywhere else. We are especially impressed with the free health care system the government provides for us and you do not even have to be over 65.
Life here in Cuenca is tranquil, safe and affordable and the people are helpful and friendly. You do not need a realtor to determine your needs when it comes to living accommodations, you just need trusted friends.

Hello all,

If you need info about Cuenca and how thinks work here I can meet you when you visit.
My schedule is tight but I will be happy to help. 

My email is *** 

Vinny

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security + please register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am also going to make a first visit in May, probably May 27 - June 5. When will you be there?

Currently, I am in Atlanta and want to retire in Cuenca if it is as great as it seems from here. I am hoping to get to know some expats and, as someone else suggested, I want to meet local people, too. I also intend to do a lot of exploring in Cuenca and outside of town including Banos and some of the natural beauty I have seen online.

Hopefully, this forum will give both of us a head start so we can make the most of our trips. I welcome any advice, comments, or new friends.
Billy

Are there any other places you would recommend for meeting people, things to do, places to stay?

I am also coming from Atlanta in late May to explore Cuenca as a place to retire. I am excited about being there, meeting lots of expats and locals and seeing as much of the area as possible.
Billy

I will probably be in Cuenca at the end of May. I will let you know my travel plans when they are firm, and we can plan on meeting for lunch or coffee or a drink.
Take care.
Travis

Hi and thanks for the meeting tip. My wife and I plan to have our first there in late 2016 or early 2017. Hope to meet you then. First coffee is on us!!!

space saved for future expat.com upgrades

I loved Cuenca when I was there one year ago.  Traveled the coast with high hopes but the uncleanliness and the poor dogs starving just didn't settle well with me.  Cuenca has it going on, but I have HIV and fear not being able to get my medications down there if I move.  Do you have any insight on this? I'm asking anyone who can help.
I am Scotty from Oregon

Dear BGCG,  We are also from Tucson, AZ and recently moved to Cuenca.  We're building a home in Challuabamba, a 10 min drive from Cuenca in the hills.  I have probably the best realtor in Cuenca and am willing to give you their phone if you are still interested.  I know your post is from 2016 so I'm probably a bit late but let us know if still interested.  This place is beautiful, absolutely LOVE Cuenca!!  Worst part about living in Ecuador is doing any type of transaction (driver license, registering car, etc)

We also love Tucson (born and raised) but everything is getting outrageously expensive so we opted moving here.  No regrets so far, just doing any type of transactions, quite a culture shock compared to the states, naturally of course, we're in a third-world country.