New Member interested in Loja

We are retirees in late 60's, currently full-time RV'ers and are considering a winter 2014 trip to Ecuador.  Particularly interested in Loja as a possible retirement home.  Any info appreciated.

Best of all worlds, little to no shopping what so ever however, in 5 minutes by taxi or car you're in Montanita which is mid size town with just about everything you'll need to make life RV comfortable..Montanita is the party town where as Loja is the kick back side of the tracks. Both have excellent beaches with Montanita  being on the professional surfers list of qualifying points for their rankings.
Hope it helped.

If layed back is your preference look into Olon as well.

There is an expat named Joseph K living in Loja. Don't know how you could get in touch with him. Does anyone know how?

[ my first post ]  :D

@ timo31750 » Looking at a map, it appears to me that Montañita (1°49'56.41"S,  80°45'5.52"W), on the Pacific coast and to the north (), is at least 400 miles from Loja (3°58'59.52"S, 79°12'17.50"W) ... not just "5 minutes by taxi." Am I looking at the wrong "Montañita"?

@ axhead » There are many informative points made within this thread:
Anybody living in Vilcabamba or Loja?

@ suefrankdah » Unfortunately (I've really enjoyed his input), Joseph K hasn't been active on this blog since mid-September. At one point he indicated that he'd been sick. I hope all is well with him.

Timo, there is no town called Loja near Montanita. Near Montanita you'll find Simon Bolivar, Manglialto, and Olon. I think Loja is south of Cuenca.

suefrankdahl wrote:

There is an expat named Joseph K living in Loja. Don't know how you could get in touch with him. Does anyone know how?

Have you tried looking up an old thread in which he'd commented, clicking on his name or avitar, and sending him a private message? Even if he's no longer actively using the forums, he'll get an email that he has a private message.

Yes, Loja (3°58'59.52"S, 79°12'17.50"W) is 124 miles (2 hrs + 53 mins) south of Cuenca, on the E35. The distance from Loja to Montañita (1°49'57.42"S, 80°44'58.28"W) is a whopping 324 miles (7œ hrs)!

I provided a link to that "Anybody living in Vilcabamba or Loja?" thread, above.  :)

What do you have maps in your livingrooms or on the walls around you?  I am fascinated how you know all this stuff.....I have terrible memory problems and I am fighting it by typing and you all fascinate me.
What is a thread besides sewing on my button?
Why did you think there was no Loja when there is south of Cuenca...
Now I told my husband I am going to see a lot of snakes on the sandy roads going to Peru and he laughed
is it true or an inside joke?

[small]

smmr wrote:

What do you have maps in your livingrooms or on the walls around you?  I am fascinated how you know all this stuff

No, but I have a computer.  :)
I can query Google, "distance from Loja EC to Cuenca EC" ... and it will tell me that it's 124.1 miles and 2 hrs 53 minutes away. I can query Google, "distance from Loja EC to Montañita EC" ... and it will tell me that it's 326.6 miles and 7 hrs 29 minutes away. Try it. :)

smmr wrote:

What is a thread besides sewing on my button?

I can certainly understand that, smmr. I'm 61 years old, but I have been very closely connected with computer technology since 1980.

Since I'm new here, and since I don't know you, I'll just be bold and offer this:
This expat "blog" pretty much follows the format of a standard "forum" ... a structured back-and-forth dialogue between registered members. When a new "topic" or "thread" is created (within a category ... and in this case, the category is "Ecuador"), folks respond with "posts" (new, contributory input).

Hojalá que pase un día muy feliz, smmr. :)

And by all means, don't neglect Google Earth. What an awesome tool for exploring our blue sphere.

smmr wishes she was that young I remember that much.  Thank you for the perfect explanation for a fuzzy mind it all is a wonderful world unbelievable to wake up to all of this such advantages its unbelievable but I hope it does not stop a generation from being verbal and talking within a family and connecting with one another.  Like where's the love.  Its all fantastic enlightening but frightening at the same time because will they control themselves or over indulge like always.
Put that in a topic ha

Please refer to the original question that started this thread.   If you can speak to that, please do.  Otherwise find another thread for your musings and geography lessons.

Wayne E. Hall
USA
423-231-7031

The original poster (um, that'd be you, Wayne) said, "We are retirees in late 60's, currently full-time RV'ers and are considering a winter 2014 trip to Ecuador. Particularly interested in Loja as a possible retirement home.  Any info appreciated."

I offered constructive input that very directly addressed your question (see post #4 – and make sure that you click the supplied link). Did you bother? Or, did you simply read the last post or two ... then comment ... neglecting any previous input?  ;)

As an aside, smmr happened to ask how I know such detail. So, in an effort to be helpful, I offered her a reasonable explanation.

Clearly, you're looking for help?
I'm happy to offer what I can.
On the other hand, If you want to castigate ... well, then ...

Look ... you're new here (just like me). Perhaps we can each responsibly figure out how this expat-blog works.

Actually, I did follow up on the link that you posted, and got some valuable info.  My dissatisfaction is with the tendency on ALL blogs to go off on tangents not related to the original thread.  I guess I will simply refrain from using blogs, as it is obvious that hijacking is a way of life.  I'm too old to change, and don't have time to read irrelevant info.  I won't be on this blog after today.

Wayne

Human communication, whether face-to-face or digital, invariably involves tangents and distractions. Expecting that to NOT happen is unrealistic, frankly. Certainly no public discussion environment is 100% on point—without tangents. Minor diversions from main topic can be constructive and enlightening. I'm 61. My father (an anthropologist) is 90. We have great personal and digital communications almost daily ... which are loaded with stimulating tangents and distractions. We both enjoy the diversions. Hey, but I'm clearly off-topic. ;)

I wish you the best in your transition to Loja EC, or any other place that you might find more fulfilling. :)

axhead wrote:

Actually, I did follow up on the link that you posted, and got some valuable info.  My dissatisfaction is with the tendency on ALL blogs to go off on tangents not related to the original thread.  I guess I will simply refrain from using blogs, as it is obvious that hijacking is a way of life.  I'm too old to change, and don't have time to read irrelevant info.  I won't be on this blog after today.

Wayne

Our loss.  Would have loved to read about how Wayne was going to get his RV from Tenn. to Ecuador.  Sorry I didn't get to go off on that tangent before he retired from this blog.  Good luck Wayne

Ok Loja book 10 Line 4 house 33 Balconey 17 but besides that why out of no where is everyone asking so many qestions about Loja.  Someone on this site said it is out in no where at kind of to a Party town great.
A lot of surfers great for people in the 60 when they have a heart attack or need a little help....
Who is going to build a house this is a little problem.  And one of you said lots of snakes all over this country  sounds like a wonderful dream I had and it was not be Loja.  Now this stuck to the story. 
How many people in Loja?
How many grocery stores?
How many real homes?
Much crime?
Drug store?  I think he wanted not map locations he wanted practical stuff
Now that answers questions not surfing or party town next store or smoking etc hello hello....
It remind me talking to my little daughter she bought a lot terrific but is there a road to the lot?  I am practical.  You can see the ocean great.  But I talk practical can you reach it and swim in it?
Her husband died at the sight of peanut butter like wow where did you get that....I said the grocery store I bought it...so they don't have a grocery store in their town a little pick up.  There is a difference.
So people want to know all about Loja personally from people that have been their well have you.

smmr wrote:

he wanted not map locations he wanted practical stuff
So people want to know all about Loja personally from people that have been their

The above link to another thread (sew what?) gives one requested info.  It even helped Wayne.

I found this helpful information about living in Loja at ExpatExchange:

Hi! I lived in Loja for 5 yrs. & go back every summer for 2 months.
It depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a lot of other expats you probably won't find them in Loja. I know I never did. Some but very few. I understand that now Vilcabamba has a big expat population. Personally, for me, if I wanted to live w/ Gringos I would just stay here.

Loja is typical Sierra – laid back, quiet, and kind of colonial. The people are slower to get to know (than compared to on the coast) but they are quiet, sweet, humble, friendly, patient and kind once you do get to know them. I find it to be mellow & peaceful. No it isn't anywhere near as small & quiet as it once was when I originally moved there in 1997. Sadly, it has grown some but, to me it has a good balance. It is a large enough city that you have available to you some of the stuff that might be lacking if you were in too rural an area yet "las afueras" (the places around the edges of the city) are rural enough that you could find a place to live that was peaceful & quiet while not being too far away from what you need.

Like everywhere in the world there is some crime but, in my opinion (being from Boston) I find it to be fairly low crime. There are just enough ammenities & the climate is good. I would describe it as "perpetual spring" with a speck of summer & fall thrown in. Average daily temperature in my experience is 60–68°F. Occasionally there will be a sort of hot day like 75°F. Sometimes if it is windy & maybe rainy (Loja is located in a valley) w/ windchill you COULD see temps of 48°F but it isn't the norm, and this would be at night.

Prices are reasonable. Like everywhere the rents range. Depending on what you are looking for in terms of high end or just average. Phone is $8–$12 w/o long distance. Electricity (average) $12–$14 (unless you have a house full of people). Cooking gas is $1.60 per tank. Generally lasts around 1 month depending on how much or how little you cook.

It is about 1/2 hr. drive to the Catamayo airport which has Tame and other national airline flights to the big cities.
It has beautiful parks, cathedrals, museums and is close to Podocarpus, Vilcabamba, Malacatos, and Zamora – to name but a few.

If there is anything more specific that you would like to know please feel free to ask. Whatever I don't know off of the top of my head I can find out for you. I have family who still live there.

Hope this was of some help to you.

As other folks on here said regardless of how much I love Loja doesn't mean you will. Always a good idea to go and check out a place to get a feel for it before committing to it. As someone so aptly put it "one man's paradise is another man's hell".

I love it, but hey that's just me.

Mugtech did you see how cursor responded to Loja now that was fantastic that is how you answer questions..you can learn how to communicate so can Obama its really easy.  Cursor did it nicely and I think I want my husband to take me over to Loja for a visit.  The description sound nice.

Cursor thank you so much you did a great job you know how to communicate thank you.
I have just one question rent could you give me a range a month for 1 bedrm 1 bath on beach nice with kitchen washer and dryer private walking distance and activity? Thank you.

Do you realize, smmr, that Loja is not located on the coast?
The distance from Loja to the closest coastal town on the Pacific side is 112 miles (3 hrs + 4 mins).

distance link, with map

smmr wrote:

Mugtech did you see how cursor responded to Loja now that was fantastic

Did all the work for you.  GOYA  (551ST Parachute Bat.)

Other helpful Loja data

Elevation —  2060 m (6758 ft) above sea level
Population (2010) — city: 185,000,  metro: 215,077
Colleges and Universities — Universidad Técnica Particular de Loja, and National University of Loja

Other helpful links

Official Loja website
Loja cost of living
Loja restaurants (with plenty of reviews)
Grocery shopping in Loja
Loja living guide – written by a resident
Things to do in Loja
Loja EC Wikipedia

well cursor was nice enough to answer the new members questions must not be as old an cranky as you mugteck ha teasing.....of course since I am older then all of you that I lie about my age hahah

my husband pointed out where it is but I will not be going through it on the way to Peru haha...I know exactly where it is now I;m a slow learner.