Software startups?

I am a fairly successful American businesswoman who is married to a Serb.  We're planning on moving to Serbia in the near future (1-2 years from now) with our kids.

Currently I work in the software business, managing a highly used world wide product.

We've saved enough to allow me to move without having to be employed, but I'm very interested in staying employed for my own sanity, so I was trying to come up with some ideas of what I can do (without becoming a housewife).

Since Serbia is not in the EU yet, my current company isn't interested in employing me while I live there.

They would want me in an EU country.  (bummer)  Are there many software startups in Serbia?

I have zero clue as to what that industry looks like there. If there isn't I was thinking of starting one.

Anyone familiar with the challenges of starting a company?

Hi Veverica,

Coming to Serbia to work in IT industry would be one of the best choices, the sooner the better.... Serbian IT is the most active in the region with many international (especially US)companies, free lancers. Startup community is very much developed. Also, setting up a company is very easy, takes 5 days including opening of a bank account. Start-up funding is available as well....

For more info send me a private email to [email protected]

Dragan

veverica wrote:

I am a fairly successful American businesswoman who is married to a Serb.  We're planning on moving to Serbia in the near future (1-2 years from now) with our kids.  Currently I work in the software business, managing a highly used world wide product.  We've saved enough to allow me to move without having to be employed, but I'm very interested in staying employed for my own sanity, so I was trying to come up with some ideas of what I can do (without becoming a housewife).  Since Serbia is not in the EU yet, my current company isn't interested in employing me while I live there. They would want me in an EU country.  (bummer)  Are there many software startups in Serbia? I have zero clue as to what that industry looks like there. If there isn't I was thinking of starting one. Anyone familiar with the challenges of starting a company?

Hello, Did you manage to get started?

I wouldn't say the start up community here is very developed. From what I have seen it is exactly the opposite. Although there are some good developers the place is lacking in other areas. Educated Serbs who are good developers or have success in other fields generally leave the country but if you are not developing a complex platform you will definitely find good workers. I doubt if you are looking to open a service it will be directed at the Serbian market so opening a Serbian company makes little sense.

Also OP, not to prejudge anyone's motivations but I would be weary of people pushing their services.