Driving licence in Malta

Hello there all the lovely people! I was hoping there is someone here who would know better than I...
So, I recently applied and received Learner Drivers permit in my country - Latvia. Which is part of EU. On the card it clearly states in English that 'the present document authorises to learn driving of the vehicle categories mentioned on the other side. Driving excersises on the road are allowed under the supervision of the driving instructor'
Now...if Latvia is in EU, and if I have this document already why do I have to get a Maltese version of it? As they say, it s all EU rules, so if this is a Eu document why is it not valid?
Now I need the f...ing Maltese ID which has been in the making 4 months already, I need to prove that I have been living in Malta for over 6 month, etc, etc...
Why?
I already have the document..
Please, share you knowledges with me!:)
I need help!

Thanks a million!
-i-

As far as I know, you don't need to obtain maltese driver license, you need to exchange yours if you reside in other EU country for more than 6 months. This is default story, in every country there are some local rules.

But you can use your license until the next renewal
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/ve … ent_en.htm

Spiridonov wrote:

As far as I know, you don't need to obtain maltese driver license, you need to exchange yours if you reside in other EU country for more than 6 months.

pupadupa doesn't have a driving licence to exchange

you don't have to exchange as long as old licence is valid

pupadupa wrote:

I need to prove that I have been living in Malta for over 6 month, etc, etc...

I believe thats a standard EU rule

"Provisional licences or certificates issued in your home country will not be recognised in other EU countries."

My mistake - apologies.:rolleyes:
I was going to say that this is a document that is being referred to and not a licence and it has to be a full licence, which is usable in Malta for as long as it is valid in the country in which it was issued. However, you may exchange a full EU driving licence if you wish to.

does everyone know in terms of the UK driving licence it becomes invalid after 10yrs - but only because of the photo being out of date - its in the small print as a requirement of validity to have the photo updated every 10 yrs.....

Hi ,

that's easy to answer , even without swearing -)))

There is no European regulation on rules for drivers learning how to drive. There are national regulations and as such apply only to each individual country.

Only the final national drivers licence is regulated under EU law and accepted in all EU countries.

What you have is not an EU document! Germany , for example, doesn't have learner drivers cards and certainly wouldn't accept your's either.

Cheers
Ricky

toonarmy9752 wrote:

does everyone know in terms of the UK driving licence it becomes invalid after 10yrs - but only because of the photo being out of date - its in the small print as a requirement of validity to have the photo updated every 10 yrs.....

As I understand from the same regulations mentioned above, all renewals are to be done to the new EU form approved this year. So I don't think it's possible just to renew an old UK license here

I also have a question in regards to this matter. I am thinking in changing my Portuguese DL for a Maltese one and I know that the Maltese DL, It's only valid for 10 years. Now, after the 10 years period, do I just renew it for another period of time, or I actually have to do all the tests again for a new DL? It might be a silly question, but I just wanted to double check! :)

Cheerio,
Antonio

toonarmy9752 wrote:

Yes, it's a stealth tax.

mantonas wrote:

I also have a question in regards to this matter. I am thinking in changing my Portuguese DL for a Maltese one and I know that the Maltese DL, It's only valid for 10 years. Now, after the 10 years period, do I just renew it for another period of time, or I actually have to do all the tests again for a new DL? It might be a silly question, but I just wanted to double check! :)

Cheerio,
Antonio

You just renew it.
See this link

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … ng-licence

tearnet wrote:
mantonas wrote:

Cheerio,
Antonio

You just renew it.
See this link

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … ng-licence

Thanks tearnet! I thought so too but just wanted to double check. Thanks for the confirmation.

I for example have a swiss drivers license with indefinite validity.

From a swiss point of view there is no need to exchange it to a maltese driving license although moved to malta last year.

From a maltese perspective you dont need to exchange foreign EU/swiss license as long as you dont drive in Malta for a period not exceeding twelve months from the date of  last entry into Malta.

As i am travelling a lot i rather stick with my swiss license.

michael78 wrote:

I for example have a swiss drivers license with indefinite validity.

From a swiss point of view there is no need to exchange it to a maltese driving license although moved to malta last year.

From a maltese perspective you dont need to exchange foreign EU/swiss license as long as you dont drive in Malta for a period not exceeding twelve months from the date of  last entry into Malta.

As i am travelling a lot i rather stick with my swiss license.

12 months is irrelevant. No need to change as long as not expired

I had it the other way around more or less, I used to live in Germany then I moved to Switzerland without exchanging the drivers license.

Then after 1,5-2 years they stopped me with my car at the frontier and asked me for documents for the car and my drivers license.

Then the German Police said to me, if I knew that my driving license is not valid anymore, now that I have left Germany for more than 1 year and telling me that I am pratically drivning without a license.

I exchanged the Germany license for a Swiss one the next day.

You also have to think about what it means to you insurrance if you have any accident and you dont have a valid drivers license even tho not knowing. You will be definately fxxxed.

"If you move to another country, you can drive there with your current licence as long as it remains valid."

maybe the issue is Switzerland isn't in the EU

Well those were German police officers the swiss ones didnt care.

And i might not mentioned that this happened around 2004/2005, could have been different back then ;)