Mariage with saudi

Hi everyone...
Here is my situation:
Iam french and my boyfriend is saudi.
I know it is already hard to have the permission to marry a saudi but he is also military...
Any advice :)???

(I know my situation is almost impossible, but when you love someone, giving up is not an option!)

Thanks for your help!

Not impossible, at all.  It's easier in other countries, but not impossible.

As long as the paperwork and religious conventions are satisfied you should be fine.

My suggestion would be for your man to contact the consulate or embassy closest to you to get your answers and start your paperwork.

I hope it works out for you.

Hey Mister Stretch! Thank you for your answer!
I said impossible because I think saudi military can't marry foreigners?

it z ezy if u cud change ur religion .......

CloClo wrote:

Hi everyone...
Here is my situation:
Iam french and my boyfriend is saudi.
I know it is already hard to have the permission to marry a saudi but he is also military...
Any advice :)???

(I know my situation is almost impossible, but when you love someone, giving up is not an option!)

Thanks for your help!

But because he is military doesnt make it hard?

^ No, not necessarily.  I am assuming, unlike shakeel, that you are Muslim, yes?

Check out this blog, here on the site, which may answer questions for you.

https://www.expat.com/en/blog/middle-ea … ogspot.com

actually by law it is forbidden for military personnel to marry a non saudi regardless of religion. but it is not impossible. I hope the answer I replied to your PM was usefull :)

Salman

Salman

Forbidden but not impossible?   :/  I just don't understand!

it seems there is always a way around the impossible here if you know the ropes or have the 'wasta' ! ;)

A law was recently passed that will allow diplomats, Department of the Ministry of Interior personnel AND military members, to marry non-Saudis. The law was passed, procedurally- but I don't know what stage the legislation is now, so it may not be officially implemented yet, but it HAS passed.  So it will be the law soon, if not already.

In case your family worries about what you would give up by marrying a Saudi, read up so you know. For instance, try to know & understand the laws of marriage, death of a spouse, custody and divorce, if you marry a Saudi & Live in the Kingdom. For instance, there, Saudi men get custody of the children in divorces from non Saudi women.  I'm not sure what happens to children of a marriage in the event a Saudi father dies, leaving  a non-Saudi mother. I think the children have to stay in the Kingdom.   You can and should research this, so you know what you are getting into and allay their fears to the extent possible.  The other side of this of course is how your husband-to-be's family will react. How are they about this?

But remember, MOST families get nervous when a child marries outside their culture, so some of their concerns are normal and we all go through it to an extent. I'm still married to my "first" husband, and it's been nearly 30 years. Who knew?

GOOD LUCK!

Here's a copy of an article about marriage to a non-Saudi by military members (and others formerly prohibited). It's from the "Arab News"...

JEDDAH: The government is set to relax regulations governing the marriages between Saudis and non-Saudis. A revised draft law prepared by the Interior Ministry and the Cabinet's Committee of Experts allows government ministers, judges, Shoura members and students on foreign scholarships to marry non-Saudi women.
The new law, which replaces the old one issued 38 years ago, should be passed by the Council of Ministers. According to Article One, Saudis who are allowed to marry non-Saudis include ministers, members of the judiciary and diplomats at the Foreign Ministry.
Other beneficiaries of the law are: Employees of the Royal Court, the crown prince's court, the Council of Ministers, the National Security Council, and members of the councils and organizations chaired by the king and the crown prince, Al-Riyadh Arabic daily said.
Staff at the Ministry of Defense and Aviation, the Interior Ministry, the National Guard, the Royal Guard and the General Organization for Military Industries including military and civilian officers as well as members of the Commission for Investigation and Public Prosecution, Customs staff and all students studying abroad under the government's scholarship program are also allowed to marry non-Saudi women.
“The above-mentioned Saudis are allowed to marry non-Saudis including GCC women after receiving permission from higher authorities,” says Article One of the revised draft law.
Article Two allows Saudi men and women to marry GCC citizens. Saudi men can marry the daughters of Saudi women and non-Saudi men. But those who propose marriage should not be from categories mentioned in Article One.
Paragraph Two of Article Three says a Saudi can marry a non-Saudi woman born in the Kingdom to non-Saudi parents. However, the law insists that the woman should have a valid resident permit and birth certificate issued by Saudi authorities. Here also the man proposing should not be from the categories mentioned in Article One.
A Saudi woman is allowed to marry a non-Saudi man born in the Kingdom if his mother is Saudi or even both parents are non-Saudis, on condition that the man should have a valid resident permit and birth certificate issued by Saudi authorities. He should have lived in the Kingdom for not less than 15 years, but is not allowed to propose to women in the categories mentioned in Article One.
Saudi applicants who do not come under the above-mentioned articles should obtain the permission of the government to marry non-Saudis. The marriage must comply with Shariah regulations. Non-Saudi men and women intending to marry Saudis should be free from certain diseases and should not be among those listed as unwanted in the Kingdom.
The law authorized specialized courts in the Kingdom to certify such marriage contracts after making sure that they follow the conditions and regulations specified in the law. Saudi missions are given the authority to certify marriages taken place outside the Kingdom.
The Interior Ministry has been given the authority to inform higher authorities if any violations are found and such cases would be taken to specialized courts. Violators of the law would be fined not more than SR100,000.
Violators will also be banned from receiving loans given by Saudi lending organizations and government grants during the period of marriage.
The court can stop implementation of the punishment if convinced about the convicts' special situation. The interior minister will issue the executive regulations for this by-law.

Well, obviously there are limitations to this law. You'll need to contact the authorities who issue "marriage certificates" (whatever they're referred to as there) and not be on the list of those "unwanted in the Kingdom". Clearly it's not as simple as the article begins to say, but it does give you hope. And towards the end, it says that violators could be fined, (but not jailed and the marriages would not be deemed null and void)-at least that's how the article reads. It suggests a fine or penalty and then seems to say it's leaving it at that; as if to say that it's very frowned upon to break this law, but not like it's a "felony". Make sense?  I strongly suggest you get an  copy of the law as it is actually written, so you know who is who and eligible, prohibited, etc in "Article One" and who is on the "unwanted" list, etc. That way you'll have all the homework done when you apply.

Again, good luck.

Hi Spitfire8!

Thank you so much for all these informations!!!
Well I have heard about this new law, but I thought it was actually not true! So is it sure that this law has passed? and if yes what does it mean? Does it mean he could ask permission to marry me?

Iam a little bit confuse sorry!
Thank you again so much!

:)

So is it sure that this law has passed?

It seems that laws are often passed here but they take considerable time to be implemented, if they are implemented at all. 

An example is the whole 'job title/family visa' brouhaha.  Anybody know what's going on with that at this point?

@allie...will let u know wen i get married ;)

Allie, can you be more specific regardling the law or rule you're referring to? There's a ton of info out there, but I have a legal research site at work that I can use if you give me terms that narrow  it down some.

Clo Clo,

Your man will have to get what's called a "nikkah" which is permission to marry a non-Saudi. He'd get that from his gov or if you are both outside the Kingdom, go to the Saudi embassy in France and apply.  I do not know if it's allowed, as I am not sure if you are Muslim and also, the rules for men marrying non-Saudi women are different than for Saudi women marrying non-Saudi men. 

You are correct in saying that military members have different rules too. You are not from a GCC country which isn't good news for you,  although it's hard to know exactly who is banned. Why? B/c it's tough to  find the actual law all written out with Article 1 included, (I think Art 1 lists the prohibited groups) which you will need to see so you know if your nation or religion or background is on the prohibited list.  Not to be too personal, but what does your boyfriend know about all this? 
Is he looking into it? I'm sure he's not the first man to face this but I have no idea what that means for his career or family life either. In theory, it could mean losing a lot for him.  One author said it reminded him of  "Romeo and Juliet"...(No Capulets or Montagues in this marriage!!)
Good luck Clo, I'm rooting for you if it's what you both want.