Being cheated by Indian man and Vietnamese woman

Hey there
Thanks for your guys for all the advices.
Suddenly, they contacted us and give us back the money, even in very rude attitude.
But finally, it came back to us now.

Thanks and regards

You are Vietnamese, surely you can ask your Vietnames friends or find a lawyer to help with this?
You have a contract with the man, what does it stipulate about cancellations and refunds from either party?

I'm not sure too many expatriates will be able to offer much in the way of advice regarding Vietnamese law.

LFB is right!
As a Vietnamese you should consult with a lawyer to sue against him for breach of contract and cheating if there has some possibility. Take law and order is not the right way. It may cause you trouble and more money loss!

Hey there
Thanks for 2 advices.
But when i contact any lawyers, i have the problems that i can not prove the truth that he had tried to cheat us. He had admitted that he did not contact any web company by Skype, not by email or paper. And now, we dont have anything to show to others people about it.
In the contract, it said if we cancel the project, we will lose deposit money.
But in this case, we cancel because we find out he cheated us.
Thats very complicated.

It's not complicated :D
It's very clear that you cannot win that case if you try. Anyway lost is lost. Don't spent more for that. Take it as a lesson and be more careful when you deal further!
People who make money by cheating others, of course lose more than that!

how is coming to his house with a couple of big mean looking Vietnamese a bad idea?

So a Lawyer is telling you, that you have no case and yet you think a bunch of expats will know better? :D

Conversation by word of mouth are worthless without written back up. Your word against his, cut your losses and walk away.
If you & your Australian boyfriend did not get changes\addendum in writing then lesson learned I think.

You will still need to check your contract for breach of contract clauses. So that lawyer may still come in handy.

3000 is not big to you but very very big to someone else.
How much (time & money) will it cost?, if you were to get it back?

"Watch out for dem Engines!"

After reading your story, I am highly amused by your naivety in the business world.  Regardless of doing business in Vietnam or Australia, you have to get everything discussed in writing and notarized if possible.  You mentioned that you discussed some pertinent information via Skype.  That is basically worthless information and nothing is concrete.  Once again, get it in writing next time.

Hopefully you will learn from your silly mistakes this time and realized that when dealing with anyone, make sure you have it in writing.

By the way, $3000 USD is a LOT of money to me.  If you don't think so, feel free to send me $3000 USD and I'll be glad to take it as a gift.  Making that kind of comment simply makes you look silly.

Just as another person posted in another thread that giving away $800/mth to someone far away is nothing to them.

I think the $3000 and $800 is a big deal to them otherwise why would they post their concerns here. I think they just say it's nothing to make themselves feel bigger and better.

:gloria

visavn2013
Ripped off

Perhaps you should consider services like Odesk and Elance who can offer an escrow service. They also have detailed specification sheets and contracts which get everything down in writing.

By the way have you met them before? can you discript this couple? tall indian man with short Vietnamese wife?

I know a couple claims that his husband is the similar bushiness you mention. If that's the case I know where is their whereabouts.

To be honest many business owners still close deals by a hand shake in Vietnam.

:)

Clement Chong wrote:

his husband

When did they pass this law in Vn?

Hey there
No, they are not as you describe here.

Thanks any way

Sorry man her husband typo error please excuse me..

cth wrote:

3000 is not big to you but very very big to someone else.

Who claimed it was not a lot to lose?

They have consulted a lawyer and he has advised them, they have no case. So what options are left? Spend a load more money in the hope that they win? I'm not sure, but I doubt many lawyers would take on such a case on a no win no fee basis.

That said seek another lawyer, get a second opinion if needed, but asking a bunch of expats who do not know the whole saga beyond a few words on a public forum nor do I suspect many know\understand the laws here, is just a fruitless exerciser.

Are there no public Vietnamese forums to seek out legal advice? I know if I was in my own country I'd be asking on those kind of forums rather than a site aimed at expats living in a foreign land.

But hey wtf do I know, I'm no legal expert nor am I Vietnamese :D

The person who started the thread,

$3000 is not a big money. But why should we let somebody get our money for free like that?

This was what the OP said.

"On the ropes..."? You really scare me John Wayne haha. If you behaved in a more professional manner you would be more credible.

Looks like we have a mental giant gracing us with their riveting posts.