Suggested newspapers to read for those considering a move to PR

If you want to find out more about what the island is really like in addition to responses from expats, I'd suggest the two newspapers that would give you the best news as to what is happening on the island. They are, El Neuvo Dia and Primera Hora. Unfortunately they are only written in Spanish. So you have to either know the language or get somebody who does to help you with reading them. This way you will get facts in addition to others opinion and  experiences. They can be found online.

OMG, Spanish new in general is SO dramatic. They only show the truly ugly side of everything. I grew up watching Spanish news... terrible!

we on the island are very happy with a new font of news:
News is my Business.

check them out on FB  and on the web:

http://newsismybusiness.com/category/to … portation/

IN ENGLISH....  well written and informative.

those of you no longer on the island might want to check it out.

I like to read Caribbean Business. http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/

So I see we have a few different views as to my SUGGESTION on the news. Some people don't want anybody to hear about the "ugly" side of PR, as if it doesn't exist. Others like their news sweetened a bit and in English. I used to like Caribbean news until they made you pay to read it(there wasn't enough content to justify me paying for it. I'm a businessman but on a very small scale). Relax people. These are all good suggestions and if taken together, people who want to learn more about what's going on in PR can read all of these and get a well rounded view. So when people read about how the electric rates and water rates are increasing dramatically and people are going out of business because they can't afford the monthly bills we should hide our heads in the sand because it's ugly news? Read them all, good bad and indifferent and be well informed so you can make intelligent opinions based on what's really going on instead of pursuing an unrealistic dream you have in your head based on what you feel in your heart. I only suggest these because we get a lot of people on this forum who get the idea in their head that it might be cool to live in PR even though they know absolutely nothing about it. It's like I've said before, knowledge is power. Arm yourself with it as heavily as possible before you make any firm decisions.

Gregg, you are so defensive.... what's up with that????

the fact is that we FINALLY have some news in ENGLISH that is well written and informative is a positive thing.... Both options listed are equal to or superior to the Spanish language ones you listed in my opinion.

Spanish, by virtue of the LANGUAGE ( idiom) is dramatic, long and repetitive. ENGLISH, and in particular AMERICAN english, is straight to the point with editorial noted as such( well, MOST of the time!)  for an English speaking person, the topics are the same but we don't need all the "extras' that come with the Spanish language; the fact that some of the SPANISH here is questionable is also an issue for some.

Did you have SUCH a terrible experience here that you can't get over it??!!  Sorry for you....

If you actually took the time to read everything I said you will notice that I said other people made good suggestions(which would include you by the way) and if you read them all you will get a good rounded view about what is going on. What's defensive about that? What's defensive in saying that there is an ugly side to the news? There's an ugly side to just about wherever you live.  What's defensive about suggesting to newcomers that they arm themselves with real knowledge instead of just dreams That's only being realistic and prudent. However, my Spanish speaking Puerto Rican wife may take some exception to your Spanish/English comparison. It's a bit of a stretch(unless you are a professional linguist) to compare Spanish to English the way you do unless it's your native language. As for my experiences in PR, some were very bad and some were very good. That's why I always try to tell people it's not all black or white as some people make it out to be. If you go back and re-read my posts almost all of them include something positive if I have said anything negative. I just don't have the tendency to sugar coat everything like you do. And you don't seem to be any less defensive than you make me out to be.

Actually,I am a linguist; italian is my mother language,English my second, french and Spanish my 3rd since I consider them equally strong (or weak depending on your point of view) and I muddle through some German when necessary. my comparison is based on academic as well as empirical facts and knowledge. :) one of my seminars is how to transform a 3 page report in Spanish into a 1 page report in English. ..
I'm just a "glass half full" person...sorry.
I even enjoyed living in Naples,Italy and Tazie, France with the toilets up the hill!
Enjoy life...desfruta la vida!

Actually,I am a linguist; italian is my mother language,English my second, french and Spanish my 3rd since I consider them equally strong (or weak depending on your point of view) and I muddle through some German when necessary. my comparison is based on academic as well as empirical facts and knowledge. :) one of my seminars is how to transform a 3 page report in Spanish into a 1 page report in English. ..
I'm just a "glass half full" person...sorry.
I even enjoyed living in Naples,Italy and Tazie, France with the toilets up the hill!
Enjoy life...desfruta la vida!

Gregg,

It's not that I want to bury my head in the sand. I do take notice of what is really going on. and I a like looking at the bright side of things. I was raised by my grandmother and she ONLY watched Univision. So my comment was purely based on the fact that Spanish news is VERY graphic. I was not criticizing your suggestion of news source. Trust me I read news articles about PR ALL THE TIME. My husband is from there. 30% of my FB news feed is probably Puerto Rican and they are always posting articles of things going on. I am not blind to the goings on of life PR. But you seem to ONLY ever want to discuss the bad and highlight the bad. It's pretty sad actually. There is bad all over world, if I focused on it as much as you do I would probably never leave my house in PR or anywhere else for that matter. And trust me I do make my intelligent decision based on what's "really going on" and on tons of research. Research of the good and bad. I just prefer to look on bright side of things and live my life happy. I look at the bad and find ways to avoid those situations for me and my loved ones and how I can come out top. Rather then sulk in the misery of it.

Chin up, drink some Yaucono, read your depressing news and then focus on the little bit of good this big world (and tiny island) have to offer.

Oh wait, you left the island right? But you live in Orlando. The news here SUCKS too... LOL!! In that case drink some bustelo and enjoy some I-4 traffic.

Sincerely,

your fellow Orlando resident who might move to PR, who hates Spanish News (of PR or any Latin Country)... and Always looks at the glass half full and enjoys to burring her feet in the sand but her eyes focused on her beautiful surroundings.

Unfortunately my last post got moderated for some reason. And it wasn't all negative. It actually had some nice things to say about WMW. Once again, take time to read everything I have written. Don't just cherry pick things you want to argue about. I did in fact say that other people made some good suggestions and if a potential newcomer takes all those sources into consideration you should get a pretty well rounded view of what is going on. All I'm trying to do is get the attention of the dreamers who post on this blog about moving to PR and living an idyllic life and think things will be wonderful without knowing a thing about the island. It an be a dangerous thing to do and you know it. That's why I'm just suggesting people garner as much knowledge as they can, good and bad before making a life changing situation. Who doesn't want look at the bright side of things. I'm not a "glass half empty" type of person but I do like to look at both sides of the coin before making a decision. And a well informed decision at that. Yes, certain aspects of Orlando suck too. But re read what I said. I didn't say PR sucked. I'm just suggesting people arm themselves with knowledge and everybody jumps all over my ass. Is it such a bad thing to suggest that people take all views into consideration and do things smartly?

I agree people don't take the time to research. and yes I KNOW PR has it's bad parts. and Yes reading the news can give a better idea of everyday life in PR. I personally prefer not to watch Spanish news. that is all.

Thank you for the well put reply. If anybody wanted to move to Orlando, you and I could both have some negative and positive things to say about this city. We both know pretty much where people should and shouldn't go.

I personally love it here. But it has MANY flaws... when I first came down from DC I was like ****?!?!?!?

I mostly skipped over the back and forth rants.

If interested, you can check out the Latin American Herald Tribune.  Seems balanced and includes PR news items.

http://laht.com/content.asp?CategoryId=14092

My husband is a USAF vet who was stationed at Ramey AFB in Aguadilla for a while and we are planning on moving to PR in a few months, are there any other vets who served there that currently live in PR on this blog?  If so, please reply. 

Once we are there, we would like to be in contact with fellow vets and anyone who likes to play Poker.  I personally play poker but love to dance especially Salsa and being from NY, would welcome any former New York Ricans to contact me, no matter where on the island you reside.

Thanks, Maria