SOUTH SUDAN RIVER TRANSPORT

Dear all,
I am so please to be part of this forum to share ideas experience of living abroad. I am sorry the professional English that I write in because it might be with fault as I from a french speaking country.

I am experiencing difficulties with river Nile transport. In fact I don't understand much why sending goods from Juba to Malakal is much expensive than bringing them from India to Mombasa? I am  supervising a shipping of 8467.59 CBM of items to send to Malakal. As it was the first time I deal with the barges, I was surprised to get the price they propose me for Juba-malakal as I said is 2 higher than the price I paid for India-Mombasa. Is there any body who have ever experience any shipment with the river nil? please give me your procedure and price you paid and also the name of the shipping company that you used. The items I want to take in Malakal are 12 20Ft ISO containers and 116 cars/trucks. Thanks

Maseka Jackson.

I cannot give you any help except to tell you that it has always been expensive to ship goods on the Nile. There is no other way except by cargo plane which is even more expensive. When I was with the UN they moved goods from Dubai, Kenya and Uganda by plane as it was much quicker and safer. Helicopters moved goods to outlying places.

It is the safest way to get them to where you want to go. By road you are likely to get held up.

I worked in South Sudan for 3 years.

then i will have to pay the barge expensively as i can't transport container or truck by plane neither helicopter. south sudan really needs to be help to improve its transportation issue. surely if there were permanent road from juba to malakal, i would have a option. thanks Vientiane to take your time to help me.

Dear Bond,
thanks for your below comment, I am trying to sort out myself with this matter of river transport. They have preferential price according to the goods someone want to take to Malakal. And the different quote I have got from them is 250 USD or 300 USD per ton. for me as am taking trucks and container, they want to charge me with lots of money saying my items do not meet the quotation standards, I am still under negotiation with them.

My phone number is +211955962277 or you can write to me using [email protected].....

But I am going to Mombasa to organize the shipment next week end.

thank you.

Merci,
Je crois que je vais reussir.

on garde contact.

Jackson.