I am a young professinal woman relocating to Sydney in August!

Hello All,

I am relocating to Sydney in August due to a job opportunity which has come up. I am very excited but incredibly nervous, I have been reading hundreds of books etc on Sydney life but thought I'd give this a go. I have always made friends easily but was worried to here (in one of the many books I have read) that it can be difficult to break into social circles?!?! I will be making this move alone, I have some family friends to stay with for the first day or two but will need to sort out accommodation asap. I seem to think a house share is the best option (certainly the cheapest).
I have registered with a site which finds flatmates in the city but have had loads of responses from people I would be a little worried about living with. You also have to pay to see their full profiles- are there any free sites?
I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on what to do for the best, a company I can contact?
I am reluctant to transfer funds on the internet so would need to meet possible room mates- is it difficult to find a house share?
Any advice or tips would be really appreciated.

Thanks Eva

Hey Eva. I'm pretty much in the same situation as you are, except I'm already here.

Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do without meeting people in person. It's a touchy area, but I hope you're not being too critical of your potential roommates. It's a two way street and they will have to come to grips with your flaws, as well. The same situation applies to meeting people in the city. Just be open-minded about it. If you're particularly interested in a roommate, then I would keep in close contact with them through personal communication and social networking like Skype or Facebook. You'll have plenty of time to build a relationship by the time you get here, or to back out if you are incompatible. Better to figure that out now, than when you're already living together.

I don't know what web sites you're trying, but you have to realize you get what you pay for. Personally, I'm doing my searching on gumtree.com.au, flatmatefinders.com.au, and sydney.craigslist.com.au.

Keep in touch! I'm eager to meet people over here, too.

Hello,

I have taken a step back and chilled out now hahahaha. I have discovered gumtree.ac and domain.au both good sites! I think I will go into a hostel at first in order to build up contacts and save money. Looking at prices I need to have enough money for my bond and weekly rent. I'll be in a better situation once I get my first wage over there. When did you arrive? I can't wait to get out there, I'll be arriving (hopefully depending on flights) on the 13th August I have just over a week before I start my new job.  How long did it take to get your working holiday visa through? Did you have to prove you had enough money to fund your trip? My email address is [email protected] defiantly stay in touch and let me know how you're getting on.

I arrived on the 15th, so it's my 3rd day here. When I applied for my visa, it took me 2-3 business days and they actually didn't ask for any proof, whatsoever. I'm willing to bet that doesn't happen often.

It's a good idea to stay in a hostel for a couple days to get yourself situated. I'd recommend the Sydney Central YHA. It's ranked #5 in popularity on TripAdvisor.com and it's also listed in the Lonely Planet guidebook. There's also a _lot_ of people to meet there. Make sure that you're booking the same exact hostel, though. I made the mistake of booking the Sydney Central Hostel through an external booking website, which is actually a different hostel two blocks up street. Both are in the central business district, though, which is a good starting point for getting oriented in the city.

Cheers :cheers:

Hi Eva,

This is the hardest thing about moving and it may well take you a while to get right. Use a hostel for a while until you can find a short term room share (no lock in contracts)

There are tonnes of poster attached to lamp posts around central station.

Once you've established your social circle you can work on a long term plan from there.

Good Luck!

Hi Dave,

I have yet to book myself into a hostel I may follow sushi's advice and book into Sydney Central. I was going to book in to a hostel in Coogee but since heard it is really rough! I was thinking that because I am going over in the winter that the hostels will not be too crowed which means I can book later rather than sooner. I can't believe its less than 4 months away before I leave.
I intend on having a look around once I have increased my social circle and would defiantly prefer the none contract rooms, simply because I don't want to tie myself to an area to discover that most my friends live somewhere else. I hear getting anywhere furnished can be a challenge?

Hi Eva,

Have you visited Australia before?

My story is I left my job as of Mar 31 here in Taipei, met up with my Canadian girlfriends mid-April in Sydney and had an amazing 2.5 weeks of bliss in Australia. The day after I got back to Taipei, I applied for my WHV online. I received an email just yesterday notifying that my application has been approved (took only 3 days for result).

Basically I am going there without family, job, nor friends.. only a few friendly acquaintances I met this trip. I plan to be there by August as well. I am also a professional (in the marketing field) and hope to find an employer to sponsor me for a permanent position. Just like you I am quite nervous, but I am excited. Since I already quit my job, I have nothing to lose, so I'm just going to fly down to Sydney and see what the future has in store.

Don't worry, you have it much better off - you have a job waiting for you!! :) You'll be fine.
Me on the other hand... yikes! HAHA

Susan

Evaeliz, you might also want to consider Wake Up! It's 2 blocks south and it's much cheaper there. There's this winter deal I'm taking advantage of where you pay $150/week for a six bed dorm if you pay two weeks in advance. I'm sure other hostels have similar deals. It's a much easier commitment to agree to since you're only there for one/two weeks.

Hi Evaeliz

My situation is like you only. I am too moving to sydney for a job oppournity coming up there and have to sort out all issues as u mentioned.I shall be arriving there by july 1st week.

In case you reach early do help me out too :-)) and if I reach early, promice to help you.

Hi everyone,

Apologies for not writing back sooner. Susan, thank you for your post- I am still nervous, more and more so the closer it gets but also so excited for the “not knowing" and the adventure. I do realise I am lucky having a job waiting for me, I start work 23rd August but arrive a week or so before 14th August- I will be looking to book in to the wake up hostel (thanks sushee) I have enquired in to opening a bank account before I leave here- commonwealth Australia bank or something they open an account over here as they have a office in London. They transfer your funds over so you have access to your money straight away, without having to carry large amounts of cash around. I also need to get private medical insurance- coming from a country where you get health care free I am somewhat a novice at this, do you have any suggestions on good companies? Thanks,

Hi Eva!

I'm in a similar situation as well!  I'm actually moving from the United States on 8/11.  I would love to keep in touch.  I hardly know anyone there and will be moving by myself.  I'm also looking for a place to stay but hesitant to lock anything down before getting there, seeing the place, and meeting the roommate(s).  What date do you arrive? 

Stephanie

Hi all,

I moved here from Canada 2 weeks ago and am in the exact situation you're all talking about - totally new to the city/country, don't know anyone, had to find a place to live.

So far the city is great and people are generally really friendly.  Finding an apartment is definitely a challenge, but it can be done and I strongly recommend meeting potential roommates and viewing the apartment before locking it in.

If you have questions about anything feel free to ask. And if you want to meet up for a coffee/drink/whatever once you get here, let me know!

Scott

Hi all

same!! I just moved to Sydney from France 2 weeks ago, I am on my own, started my new job on monday so only had 10 days to sort out my accomodation! Like many of you I started looking for a shared house (here is another site that may be useful:easyroommate.com/ ), got weird replies and so also look at realestate agencies for a place on my own!! I am on a one-year contract at the moment so I was looking for a fully-furnished flat which is a bit of a challenge but not impossible and found a great place after only 3 days (ok I might have been extemely lucky on this one!)!
The best thing, Evaeliz, is getting here in Sydney, feel the vib of each neighbourhood and then start looking for flatmates or flat in specific areas you like!
For the banking stuff, I would recommend that you look into Aussie banks that might be partner with your bank so that you can withdraw money with no charge in Australia and put it in your Aussie account! And opening a bank account is super easy here, so don't worry!
For those you are already here (Scott, Sushee), I would love to go for a drink/coffee... and finally meet some people down here!

Bene

Hey Bene,

I'm still looking to meet more people, so if your up for grabbing a coffee or drink sometime this weekend send me a text (0449 253 857) and we'll figure something out.

Cheers,
Scott

I am from the US, recently moved over here on a WHV, now looking for work.  Fortunately I do have a place to live, but I don't know anyone other than my Australian boyfriend, so I am looking to meet other expats to get out a bit!  I'd love to get together somewhere in the city for coffee/tea if anyone is interested.  Send me a message and we can set something up :)

Hello everyone!

I plan to come to Sydney on a PR in the first week of september 2010. The apprehension of coming there is as big as the excitement. I know 1-2 friends there but would love to meet more people when I'm there.

I'm in a situation very similar to the rest of you. Although I have friends I don't want to take their obligation and stay with them. I'd prefer to arrange my own lodging before I arrive. If anyone has or knows of a good shared accommodation or a room that's not too expensive I'd love to get to know you and figure out the roommate compatibility part.

Cheers

Hi,
If you want any advice tell me I'm in a shared house really clean and you can inspect :=)
[email protected]

Thanks Pygouv!

Could you advise a clean and affordable hotel/hostel where I can stay for the first week while I'm inspecting places. I'm looking for an independent room that I don't have to share.

For long term, I'm looking for a girls-only apartment. Thanks for the offer though :-)

I was at the formula one hotel in williams st near Kingscross (during the week it's 79 dolls I think).
I'm stayed here 3 days and then I've moved in a house in Flinders street.
I have my own single room for 230dolls per week. It's very clean, the owner is very present.
You can have a double room fo you for 330 I think if you want more space :)
I don't know how many we are exactly, but there are 3 french girls (on students, 2 in internship) One french boy (me in internship too). one german boy (student), an intalian girl (student), one boy with his girlfriend ( argentina), one spanish boy (who works at home), and one girl from Turquia (who works in monorail).
I don't know if there are available room now, because it's change really oft.
But I know that my owner has other houses in this nice district

Hi All,

Welcome to Sydney..it's a great city and completely cosmopolitan,,,even I'm interested in meeting people with different cultures from all over the world..would love to catch up for cuppa coffee or drinks, let's arranage something!

You can txt me at 0431009925! Cheers! Vin

Evaeliz wrote:

Hello All,

I am relocating to Sydney in August due to a job opportunity which has come up. I am very excited but incredibly nervous, I have been reading hundreds of books etc on Sydney life but thought I'd give this a go. I have always made friends easily but was worried to here (in one of the many books I have read) that it can be difficult to break into social circles?!?! I will be making this move alone, I have some family friends to stay with for the first day or two but will need to sort out accommodation asap. I seem to think a house share is the best option (certainly the cheapest).
I have registered with a site which finds flatmates in the city but have had loads of responses from people I would be a little worried about living with. You also have to pay to see their full profiles- are there any free sites?
I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on what to do for the best, a company I can contact?
I am reluctant to transfer funds on the internet so would need to meet possible room mates- is it difficult to find a house share?
Any advice or tips would be really appreciated.

Thanks Eva

Hi Eva

Have you made the move yet to Sydney? If so, how are you finding it?

I'm currently in New Zealand but will move there in the next month or so.

I've seen another post about "Friday Night Drinks", could be a good opportunity to get together and meet up with a few people.

Cheers,

Rinus

Brounito wrote:

Hi all

same!! I just moved to Sydney from France 2 weeks ago, I am on my own, started my new job on monday so only had 10 days to sort out my accomodation! Like many of you I started looking for a shared house (here is another site that may be useful:easyroommate.com/ ), got weird replies and so also look at realestate agencies for a place on my own!! I am on a one-year contract at the moment so I was looking for a fully-furnished flat which is a bit of a challenge but not impossible and found a great place after only 3 days (ok I might have been extemely lucky on this one!)!
The best thing, Evaeliz, is getting here in Sydney, feel the vib of each neighbourhood and then start looking for flatmates or flat in specific areas you like!
For the banking stuff, I would recommend that you look into Aussie banks that might be partner with your bank so that you can withdraw money with no charge in Australia and put it in your Aussie account! And opening a bank account is super easy here, so don't worry!
For those you are already here (Scott, Sushee), I would love to go for a drink/coffee... and finally meet some people down here!

Bene

Hi Bene

How are you? How are you finding oz?

I can see that you've lived in New Zealand for 2 years? Where did you live?

I'm currently in New Zealand, have been living here for 9 years but will move to Sydney as well in a month or so.

Are you guys on this thread catching up for drinks at all? :)

Cheers,

Rinus

Here is a site worth checking out
[Moderated: No free advert]