Why is it that most vietnamese i meet are untrustworthy?

MarkinNam :

Can someone find for all us forieners, a web site explaining Vietnamese culture regarding, Truth, honesty, the true costs of loosing face in an international community??

You will find a book in any library related to this, it will be next to the book "Men Who Undertsand Women."

I've just heard a story about Balinese workers and think it fits, a friend said that he started a business there ( Bali) and the agreed pay was $2 / day, the man, feeling kindly saw the workers were good but smoked a lot, started buying cigarettes for the workers. Then he decided to increase the pay / day to $5, Well the next thing the hard workers were transformed into lay abouts. Trying to figure this, he asked some more experienced friends. Well you see, before, they were getting enough for each day Don't worry about tomorrow !!!!!. so he cut their pay back, no more cigarettes, and guess what???? the workers went back to doing the job at hand. Moral of the story, they don't think of tomorrow,, TROI OI !!!!!

colinoscapee :
MarkinNam :

Can someone find for all us forieners, a web site explaining Vietnamese culture regarding, Truth, honesty, the true costs of loosing face in an international community??

You will find a book in any library related to this, it will be next to the book "Men Who Undertsand Women."

Yeah, that one is a really, really quick read.

I generally believe that good folk outnumber bad, but to be honest the only truly trustworthy people I've ever met have been dogs. And even they are devious buggers when they think they can get away with it.

Listen to real people, living in the real streets, You cant live or really on Stats to keep you safe from thieves etc, Look at the barbed wire on every house and listen to the old lady that tells you to put your motorbike in the kitchen.