Visas for American teachers

hi everyone

Is it still possible to get a visa in America for a teacher who does not have a degree in English but has a TEFL certificate?

Thank you

KT

Katelol wrote:

hi everyone

Is it still possible to get a visa in America for a teacher who does not have a degree in English but has a TEFL certificate?

Thank you

KT

If you mean a work visa, it never was possible.

Really? I know some teachers who have Iqamas without degrees in English.

deleted all the comment lol, i thought u wanted to work in The US. so nevermind :D got confused..

the one who should ask for your degree is your sponser
so if he did not mind so no problem

Katelol wrote:

Iqamas?  I thought you are asking, as a non-citizen, about working teaching English in the USA?  Did I misunderstand your question?

Alliecat wrote:
Katelol wrote:

Iqamas?  I thought you are asking, as a non-citizen, about working teaching English in the USA?  Did I misunderstand your question?

that's what i thought at first too, but when i read what she wrote again i had to delete my comment lol

meshal-tx wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
Katelol wrote:

that's what i thought at first too, but when i read what she wrote again i had to delete my comment lol

Okay then, let's try this again.

If the question is whether or not an American can work in KSA without a degree in English but with a TEFL certificate, the answer is yes BUT he/she must have at least a BA in another field (not necessarily English/Linguistics).

Additional information:  online degrees/certificates are not accepted and CELTA seems to be the certificate of choice.

I know you can get a job with a TEFL and a BA but can an American get a Saudi employment visa?

Of course.  I'm American.  I have one as do many others. What would make you think we can't get one?

AFTERTHOUGHT:  sometimes when issuing visas, an institution will not have any for a particular country.  For example, they used up all their US visas but still have ones for, say, South Africa (or whatever).

When did you get you? It has been a requirement for about 3 months now,has not it?

Alliecat wrote:

Of course.  I'm American.  I have one as do many others. What would make you think we can't get one?

AFTERTHOUGHT:  sometimes when issuing visas, an institution will not have any for a particular country.  For example, they used up all their US visas but still have ones for, say, South Africa (or whatever).

Hi..

My friend is in Riyadh and a prospective employer offered them a job as an English teacher (at a private centre) with NO degree and only a CELTA..

The employer drew up a contract, approved by the Chamber of Commerce. And issued a Visa authorization letter.

I've been told the embassy in ones home county makes checks for the degree certificate, so my questions is, can my friend return to their home country, and get the Visa endorsed into their passport by the Saudi embassy?

Apparently, there are some visa agencies that say it is possible that the checks will go through, and possessing no degree wouldn't be a problem.

Can anyone give any insight into this please?

Much appreciated.

emeraldsaregreen wrote:

My friend is in Riyadh and a prospective employer offered them a job as an English teacher (at a private centre) with NO degree and only a CELTA. The employer drew up a contract, approved by the Chamber of Commerce. And issued a Visa authorization letter.

I've been told the embassy in ones home county makes checks for the degree certificate, so my questions is, can my friend return to their home country, and get the Visa endorsed into their passport by the Saudi embassy?

Apparently, there are some visa agencies that say it is possible that the checks will go through, and possessing no degree wouldn't be a problem.

Who knows---it's more likely a hit-or-miss given what seems like fickle changes to the visa regulations the past 6 months.  Plus, we don't know the specifics of the deal between your friend and the sponsor.  For instance, he/she might be expected to work as a teacher, but the visa application could state some non-degreed profession like secretary as their occupation.  By the way, your friend is already here in the Kingdom, but under who's iqama/sponsorship?

Katelol wrote:

I know you can get a job with a TEFL and a BA but can an American get a Saudi employment visa?

What makes you think an American couldn't get one?

I just came across this discussion (below) in a LinkedIn group and it might shed some light on the topic:

Poster #1. i have heard that there is a new policy with the saudi embassy in the U.S.A that if one doesn't have a degree in English their visa will be rejected.

I have heard this from a few other teachers who where hired recently and from some travel agents. Apparently this policy just started a few months ago. i just wanted to know if anybody has heard anything about this. because i would hate to do the medical and pay the travel agency fees only to have my visa rejected? Thanks.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Poster #2.  Actually, I believe this is an old policy, but perhaps they're being more strict regarding it. In 2008, you had to get an official letter from your employer if you had a degree other than English. The letter had to state that they've accepted your degree. Keep in mind, by the time the embassy tells you this information, you've already been approved by the Ministry of Higher Education and the employer. In fact, the employer has paid for the visa and the only part of the process remaining is submitting your documents and the processing of your visa.

I suggest that you get an official letter from your employer stating that they accept your degree. Secondly, a get copy of the approval letter from the Ministry of Education (your employer can provide this). Thirdly, if the employer is really interested in you and they are aware of this problem in the Embassy, the problem could be solved by having another department (according to your degree) submit your papers and then you can transfer departments once in the Kingdom. It won't be easy and it requires a lot of patience but it's worth a try.

Check their official website for any updates.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Poster #3. I can confirm that whilst the university was recruiting from the USA, a similar subject was brought up. I think that your potential employer has to make the case for you, i.e. why they need you. I'm not up-to-scratch on the details, but I think Abdullah has certainly gien you some good pointers and directions on what you should do. All the best. Don't give up!

Alliecat wrote:

I just came across this discussion (below) in a LinkedIn group and it might shed some light on the topic:

Poster #1. i have heard that there is a new policy with the saudi embassy in the U.S.A that if one doesn't have a degree in English their visa will be rejected.

I have heard this from a few other teachers who where hired recently and from some travel agents. Apparently this policy just started a few months ago. i just wanted to know if anybody has heard anything about this. because i would hate to do the medical and pay the travel agency fees only to have my visa rejected? Thanks.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Poster #2.  Actually, I believe this is an old policy, but perhaps they're being more strict regarding it. In 2008, you had to get an official letter from your employer if you had a degree other than English. The letter had to state that they've accepted your degree. Keep in mind, by the time the embassy tells you this information, you've already been approved by the Ministry of Higher Education and the employer. In fact, the employer has paid for the visa and the only part of the process remaining is submitting your documents and the processing of your visa.

I suggest that you get an official letter from your employer stating that they accept your degree. Secondly, a get copy of the approval letter from the Ministry of Education (your employer can provide this). Thirdly, if the employer is really interested in you and they are aware of this problem in the Embassy, the problem could be solved by having another department (according to your degree) submit your papers and then you can transfer departments once in the Kingdom. It won't be easy and it requires a lot of patience but it's worth a try.

Check their official website for any updates.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Poster #3. I can confirm that whilst the university was recruiting from the USA, a similar subject was brought up. I think that your potential employer has to make the case for you, i.e. why they need you. I'm not up-to-scratch on the details, but I think Abdullah has certainly gien you some good pointers and directions on what you should do. All the best. Don't give up!

Thanks for the info.

Is this also taking effect in the UK?

Regards

From Kate's question and the LinkedIn discussion, seems to only be affecting the Washington, DC embassy .. but who knows?  And who knows how long it will last?

Sometimes you get these embassy guys on the wrong day, that's all :lol:

They were giving me all kinds of hell because my physician didn't rubber stamp the forms, despite all kinds of other documentation (Saudi's are just mad for rubber stamps).  They finally settled for me paper-clipping his business card to the medical forms! :rolleyes: