D - Number

We are a British family planning to move to Norway this summer. My husband started living and working in Norway at the start of 2013 &  has registered with the Politi (police) and skaatekontoren (Tax Office).

We intend to buy a house and move our family over to Norway as soon as possible. We have been told by our mortgage adviser that I need to obtain a D-Number now so we may be offered the best possible mortgage. If I do not have a D-number, she told us the mortgage offer, if any offer is made,  will only be based on my husbands income. She was not sounding very promising as she was stunned that I am not employed.

Can anyone tell me how I may obtain a D-Number whilst still living in the UK? I am not yet employed in Norway but intend to work once we have moved to Norway.

Hi,

If I just have to answer you question about the D-Number assignment, coming from India, my wife had to have a valid visa (family reunification in our case) and she had to be present at the Politi to officially register in Norway. In your case, you might not need a visa but still you have to appear before the Politi and register to be assigned a D-number. The best place for you to check this up quickly would be the UDI website (udi.no).

It should be easy for you as an EU citizen, but you will probably still need to report to the police station. You should be allowed to live and work here for 3 months without permission. I don't know if it will cause problems if you don't have a job. You could also contact the embassy to ask them.

You will get your D-number from the fact your husband works in Norway. But a D number is usually not enough to obtain a bank loan. For that you need a personnumber, meaning to be fully registered in Norway. d-number is a form of temporary registration.