Help - bad tax problems!!

Hi All,

I've just received a letter from Oslo Kemnerkontor demanding NOK61,558 in backdated tax, including NOK3396 interest on arrears.

The letter keeps referring to "unpaid taxes" but doesn't give any detail. I'm unclear if this is income tax or property tax.

I lived in Norway between August 1997 and September 1998 - so this is THIRTEEN years overdue.

I don't have the money to pay it, and i don't even think it is due - it is so long ago that i no longer have records, but i paid my taxes through my salary at the time.

Any help or advice is very, very welcome. I've tried phoning them but can't get through to anybody who can help at the moment.

Jimbo.

It sounds like a scary amount and I am all too familiar with getting phone calls or letters in Norway saying I have to pay said bill and said interest from a million billion years ago that I just so happen to have no records of anymore! This just doesnt happen the same way for us brits...

Now calling them is the first thing you should be doing (Before 4pm is the best time as they tend to be less busy and you'll get a better chance of someone giving you the time of day to sort out or at least explain your problem) since you cant get through I'd send them an email telling them your situation.

Backdated tax's should to my understanding be notified YEARLY (around June) and NOT 13 years afterwards. June SHOULD be when you are notified of taxes you may still owed or if you're lucky taxes the goverment pays you.

I can't offer you a great deal of help as obviously the key is just knowing what the heck they are referring to, but I do know you should NOT have to pay 13 Years of tax back if you've never even been notified about it before.

You will not be expected to pay all this at once (If they somehow are in the right for charging you this silly amount) even credit companys have payback schemes....

Thats all I know really sorry I couldnt be of any more help :(

hey,

This looks very strange indeed. First the interests that are requested from you are not in line with taxes that are due for 13 years. You would have more interest than principal to pay. Also the status limitation is 5 years for taxes. You should contact them, it may just be a mistake or somebody misusing your person number.