Looking for best place in HCMC for American family of 6 to live

Will move my family from the USA in the next month and a half.
Would be interested in advise on the best place for an American family to live.
Want to be in a multicultural area, but with large US contingent.

Husband and wife + a 19 year old, 14 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old children.

Suggestions for schools, clubs, activities would be helpful also.

Phu My Hung is best place

District 2 is a very good area for family with small children.

Although I live in Phu My Hung and think it's great for me, if you want to be around more Americans, you need to consider the An Phu area of District 2.

"Want to be in a multicultural area, but with large US contingent..."

Have you ever been to Vietnam?

Wild_1 wrote:

District 2 is a very good area for families with small children.

Teacher Mark wrote:

"Want to be in a multicultural area, but with large US contingent..."

Have you ever been to Vietnam?

Never been here, that's sure:D. Otherwise he never wish these kinds of facilities, even though it's not much:D!
Anyways, you can live here peacefully with your family!
As previous postings Phu My Hung and District 2 (An Phu) are popular here in HCMC for expats. Happy journey!

Thao Dien in District 2 fits the bill best. Lots of international schools and plenty of huge villa style houses to rent in safe compounds where your kids can play in the street without getting mown down by Honda Waves.

Thao Dien is one of the main streets that run through An Phu ward in district 2... just to clarify.

Thao Dien is the name of the street and the area running off it - it is the part of An Phu/D2 enclosed by a loop of the river and the big road running east of the Saigon Bridge.

An Phu District 2 is very suitable for US expats as there is a large mass of Western foreigners staying and facilities abound. However, if your kids want to attend Saigon South International School, which offers the American style educational model, then Phu My Hung district 7 is nearer the school and saves commuting. Your choice of course...

Sweetpants wrote:

An Phu District 2 is very suitable for US expats as there is a large mass of Western foreigners staying and facilities abound. However, if your kids want to attend Saigon South International School, which offers the American style educational model, then Phu My Hung district 7 is nearer the school and saves commuting. Your choice of course...

Yes, and district 2 has ISHCMC - International School of Ho Chi Minh City, which is attended by most of the ex-pat American children who live in D2.

LOOK on web
saigondomaine.com
you have a good product for rent in HCM city

District 2 is an easy level. For a challenge, go live in Go Vap.

(for the record I live in District 2)

Go Vaps not that bad, lived there for a year, you want a challenge, try D8 and D 4 around near the river and Khanh Hoi bridge.

There's an exclusive, gated comunity around 4 Le Duan that's awash in American accents.
I also saw in another post that he Marines have (re)landed. Try to find out where they've (re)set up base.

There was no adjective in front of words 'American family'. How would you know they are here for a challenge? It's better to play safe, of course. Why exposé yourself to risks in a strange and complex society?

if you dont mind so staying my house at center fist with local friend then you check these place above. I have friend living there.

Best

I think it was said as a joke sweetpants, thats the way I replied.

Have many place in SaiGon where you can rent for ur big family. I think you need to know where you work first, after u find a place not far from there is ok...

Good Luck

Good advice from Yuli Nguyen and what an inviting pose!

I agree with everyone about Thao Dien, district 2.  I've moved to VN with my 2 children (13 & 8).  They enrolled to SSIS (South Saigon International School) in Phu My Hung, District 7.  They hated there.  We moved to Thao Dien and they're currently enrolled in The American School of VN.  They love it here.  I would highly recommended.

Two totally different places thats for sure. Thao Dien is close to the city and not so many open spaces, whereas PMH has wide streets and a lot of open spaces. It all comes down to arriving here and having a look and see which one suits you.

Maiphan
Greetings. Appreciate that you can share WHY your kids hated SSIS, what's so negative about that school. I am about to decide whether to enrol my kid there. Many thanks. Perhaps you can PM me?

Hard to tell if it is SSIS or PMH that they didnt like as the way its written it could be interpreted in two different ways.

They didn't like SSIS, but love PMH.

Ok, that makes that very clear, interested to know why they didnt like SSIS, I heard that they can be a bit anal there.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

As some one have told you, i also thought the same. Phu My Hung is the best place for your family. It's safer

[moderated]

Hi, I would say Phu My Hung is the best place. It was established a bit long already, then business, school, entertainment services and so on should be better and the place is meant to be for those who are like your family.
If you want to understand more, I can provide you information as much as I know. I live not far away this area.
Cheers, Tam.

advise renting a month in a serviced apart such as Riverside in D2, and feeling the place a little.  ISHCMC in D2 has wonderful reputation as does BIS and there are now 2 American curriculum schools in D2 doing well - The ISHCMC american school, and the American Academy (sorry if I get names wrong). 
Phu my hung and D2 are very different. Having been here 10yrs, I'd say that PMH is rather like living in Singapore, whereas in D2 I feel that I'm really living more of a local experience, however with a village feel, and many more trendy shops and cafes, restos in D2.  PMH is a very much more asian expat contingency. Def say that more westerners in D2.
Of course, it might be nice for you to meet other nationalities.. the rest of us aren't so bad are we??  your kids will absolutely have to mix with many nationalities, and they will be enriched by the whole experience.

have 7 / 2yr old born here. Can give much more info on schools, activities etc, but prefer private message if you can ?

Thanh Da is a nice place, but really bad flooding.

For 3 years the road is up and there is no longer of flooding.
An phu as there are also floods, brief in Saigon there is flooding everywhere after every heavy rain.

Why don't you try district 9? It's next to district 2 where you can find some big and new villas in compound like district 2.
Good luck!

Hello... welcome to the expat-blog site. District 7 would be an ideal place for your family. I am working at a school there, offering Nursery to G12 (not as expensive as International Schools). If you have heard of Sky Garden, there are many good houses there you could choose from. I hope this could help. ^^

[moderated: pls post your ad in the housing section]

"multicultural area, but with large US contingent"

good to see you plan to get into the soft yet gritty underbelly of vietnam...LOL

phu my hung is for pussies with money who cant handle saigon proper....lots of well heeled asians with golf visors and small dogs with hairstyles...its bland, overpriced, but safe...working class saigon locals are not welcome there and are always being asked to leave by the heavy security presence... its the only place in saigon you can sit on a bit of grass that hasnt been pissed or shat on and without fear someone is going to steal your phone or whatever....im not familiar with district 2..

i live in the poor section of binh thanh...where high tide means your house stinks like a rubbish tip and the rats are very very brave.